Monday, October 26, 2009

Progress Report (or Final Examination)

Well.
Jake here.
To report on my current status regarding
Discovering The Hunter Instinct.

You be the judge.

Multiple opportunities have presented themselves recently.
Unashamedly, I'll tell you about all of them.


One.

You know I have lots of chances to observe wildlife
from our deck.

I love to watch.
And I silently do so.
Peering between the rails.


I could stand out there for hours.
Just watching.

Recently
(since the first snow)
a bushy tailed squirrel has decided that our deck is a perfect spot
(so I'm told)
for burying nuts
and seeking seed.




This fella seems to have taken up daily residence
Fully well knowing I know he's there.
And not really worrying about that at all.


Why should he?
What do I do?


Every day.
I quietly watch.


It's really quite relaxing.
Enjoying the wildlife out the window.

And very comfortable.


With a soft leather sofa for resting my heavy and weary head.
(It's hard work watching squirrels, you know.)

The door to the deck is almost always open.
I could go right outside and join that bushy tailed rodent.
But why should I?


Life is good.
Right from this vantage.

Besides.
There is a second option.

Recently during one of my turns on the computer
I found a video of Squirrel Action.
(Thanks Mango)

Now that got my attention.


And I got a bit more animated.
(Not a lot, but I did watch that movie a few times in a row.)

Finally some real action started happening.
Another squirrely-type found his way on the deck out the window.


This one called for an immediate response.


No head resting and quiet observation for this fella.

No.

This one demanded an up-close examination.


And lots more action.

Then
This squirrely made his way into the house.
Which called for an immediate, swift and exacting pursuit.

So.
You decide for yourselves.

Is the instinct there?
Am I a hunter?

My people've come to the conclusion
that I'm a sweet softy, at heart.


Those live creatures (except for the birds in the bushes)
are all my potential friends.


I like 'em all.
I love for them to come around.


It really doesn't strike me
that I should bark, chase or hunt them.

Unless they squeak or crackle
feel soft and fuzzy in my mouth
and live in my toy basket
hide in all corners of the house
or sleep in my bed.


So.

Maybe this really isn't a Progress Report.
After all.
Maybe it's the Final Examination.
And maybe since the course "Discovering Hunter Instincts"
didn't specify exactly what the intended prey was
I passed with flying colors.

That makes me happy.



27 comments:

Sally Ann and Andy said...

Jake,
Your a great stuffie hunter. I was given a chance to do some real hunting training, i.e. kill the rat. I was something to do with rating. Well, I liked it, and that was it. I couldn't kill it. So, now, I hunt tennis balls.
Sally Ann

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

We have a few of those stuffed squirrels and other such rodents around here and Phantom is quite content with them. But we really think it is only a matter of time before TD gets himself a real one.

Congrats on a great score on your final exam.

Tail wags, the OP Pack

D.K. Wall said...

What awesome hunting skills. We almost couldn't watch.

Gus said...

There gotta be lovers in this world too Jake, and you seem to be very good at that.

gussie

Gus said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Scruffy, Lacie and Stanley's Place said...

Oh Jakie...I was in total awe of your hunting skills of those stuffed squirrels...Oh My...they were peering in at you in a most alarming fashion...and then they INVADED YOUR HOUSE!!! No wonder you attacked!!!!!

Stan and I have never caught well um anything outside...Scruffy is another story...he's either really good at finding dead birds or he's a really fast runner. Mumsie's just hoping he never catches one of the turkeys that visits us occasionally or the big crows..could be ugleeeeeeeeeee! He did bring a bird in the kitchen once...lotsa screaming from Mumsie on that one...Daddy could barely move he was laughing so hard...sheesch...

Speakin' of cackling, did you hear our peeps on the phone today?? YAPYAPYAPYAPYAPYAPYAPAYPYAP....hon-estly, Mumsie never stops flappin her jaws...Fergie's right...we girlies never got a chance....

Oh...and I went out in the yardie today and came in with a big nasty tick hangin' off my head...Mumsie FREAKED OUT...couldn't get it to let go...had to go to Stanley's day care so they could get it off...ouch..now we have a tick remover called TICKED OFF...honestly, I do not make this stuff up...this house is just weird.

Love you all and Mumsie sends her love too!!!!

Laciegirlie who is now tickless!

Tucker said...

Well my young boy Jake, what can I say that hasn't already been said? You're a lover and an observer who wouldn't harm a flea (well MAYBE a flea, but nothing that really counts!) Who says the object of the hunt has to be alive? You did a great job with that stuffie and I bet you tore the living daylights outta it too, huh?

Keep up the good work!
Licks...
Tucker

Asta said...

My Sweet Bwuvvew Jake
I am totally pwoud of you.
You have patience, and love and gweat instincts..but you choose to use youw hunting powews on stuffies..I think that's admiwable
( i think you take aftew Dadd a lovew, not fightew-I do too..squiwwels can mawch wight up to me and I just look at them, heheh, they'we kind of cute, but give me two wainy days in a wow, and we have stuffie guts all ovew the house, hehehe)
You have passed youw final exam and you can be vewy pwoud of youw achievements This doesn't mean A&A didn't coach you well..we all have diffewent stwengths and they helped bwing youws out pawfectly
smoochie kisses you pwoud sissie
ASTA

Anonymous said...

Great hunting skills! I'm better at sniffing out cheese..

Cheers,
Maxx

Hamish Westie said...

Hi Jake
A quick fashion point here. I suspect that the dog that sits in the window posing so nicely in a colourful bandanna is not, perhaps, by nature, a hunter?
Cheers! H.

Inky and Molly said...

Ah, still waters run deep...we can see there's a hunter in there, it just needs to come along the right critter...you just wouldn't want to waste your time on the wrong thing, that's all...

Duke said...

We were so hoping that you'd let that stuffie squirrel inside and show him exactly who he was laughing at, Jake! Well done!

Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch

Dexter said...

Seems like watching that movie payed off for you. You figured out how to capture and subdue that pesky squirrel. I love the way your wirey tail is vibrating.

Slobbers,
Mango

Bruce said...

You make me happy too Jake! I love your sweet, soft disposition...that means you probably like cats too!
your pal,
Bruce:)

Bobby said...

Poor stuffie squirrel, just like we would do. You have a great place to watch out, you are lucky.

Kelly said...

Oh Jakey, I loved watching you wrangle that stuffy! You can stop fighting the fact that you just aren't a hunter. It's ok! You're tender and sweet. I love your wiggly tail.

I think I have told you before that us pugs are the only breed of all dogs that were bred with absolutely NO purpose, except for companionship. So we basically have no survival skills whatsoever! hehehe! So, don't worry... I am non-hunter with you! (except, momma did recently see me eat a spider! yeah!)

xoxo
Pearl

Toffee said...

I cannot believe how gutsy that first squirrely was!!

ScrapsofMe said...

We have a cheeky squirrel that likes to short cut across the screened in lanai. He's cut a hole in the screen on both ends. When I hear him out there I launch myself at the sliding door with such justo it rocks in the frame. SHE says she is going to hafta replace it with something called hurry cane glass since she worries about me breaking it and getting hurt.

Your hunting skills are improving. You got that stuffie really quick, but your kill shake needs a bit more speed. Your head should be a blur during the actual shake.

I think it's time to change your name to Jake, the mighty hunter!

Bonnie, swift warrior Princess

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

Woo are khwite the talented hunter!

Tank woo fur sharing all those WILD khreaturs woo have to khontend with in KholWOOrado!

Hug&Khysses,
Khyra

Rocky Creek Scotties and Rocky Creek Ramblings said...

Jake,

Just because you're a terrier doesn't mean you have to be a hunter. We love you just the way you are.

XOXO
Lilly, Piper, Carrleigh and Java

Angel Ginger Jasper said...

Well I think you are thr sweetest wofie and its good that the little visitors are your friends.. You are sooo cute.. Hugs GJ xx

White Dog Blog said...

"Hunter" just means you LOOK for something not that you rip it to shreds...you happen to hunt for the beauty of other living creatures interacting naturally in their environments. Be proud of being a hunter/observer! Hunting stuffies seems like the perfect way to enjoy the chase and the "kill" nobly.

Martha said...

Hi Jake, we are just soooo impressed with your hunting skills.
We see you watching and waiting, sniffing and planning and then ATTACK!
You are a born hunter!
That stuffie had no chance with you around.
We loved watching all your videos -we especially liked you watching the squirrels online.
You are just too funny.
Now Jake the only tip we would give you is to add in some barking.
We bassets are not usually so quiet - still you had full marks on the concentration.
love you lots
Martha & bailey xxxx

Anonymous said...

Whoa Jake, a squeaky squirrel?
You're a wonderment of patience as I know many who wood have knocked thru that glassy window.

But good things comes to those who wait and the prize was a sweet one!!! YAY!!

I sure hope those runty rodents don't have an eye on any of your kibbles or bones.

Best you keep on that sofa and watch um! Many other prizes await!

Smooochess from Autumn

Sally said...

AHHHHHH Jake - you are one sweet soul. I agree with the comments above - you are not into hurting something living - so you use your impressive skills on the stuffie squirrels. We wish more beings had this attitude.

We think you are that bit more special! Lots of licks

Sally and Paddy

Amy & the house of cats said...

I think you passed with flying colors! And I think you are right - all the living animals out there could end up being great friends!

Joe Stains said...

I think you have got an A+ for sure. Plus, Mom said the only way real squirrels taste good is in soup, which is probably hard to accomplish with no thumbs.