Monday, October 12, 2009

Can I Have Some Mor' Sir?

Things have been happening around our home.
And we've been watching the changes.


The leaves have been turning colors
and the birds have been eating from the feeder like crazy.


The sunrise shining on the hill to the west of us has made it glow.


And the deer have been grazing off our back deck.


Winston got to see them for the first time.
(We coached him to be very quiet
but somehow that came naturally to him.)


Even the geese have been pecking around for food
more than usual.



We're pretty sure all those animals have a built in weather forecaster.

Because sure enough
the next morning
We woke up to our first real snow.


It gave a whole new dimension to hunting for me.


And it put Fergi into happy crazy action.



Even the birds were hungrier and began competing for food
with snow now covering the seeds and berries on the trees.



After a brisk romp and sniff outside
We were all ready to come in for a good breakfast.

And Winston's special request
was a bowl of porridge
swimming in warm milk
topped with a white mountain of sugar.
(hehehe - smart wheeless that he is)


Without a question
his request was filled.

Partly because it's a favorite breakfast around here.

And partly because
Sunday, October 11, 2009
held in Carrbridge, Inverness-shire, Scotland
on World Porridge Day.

(We wish we coulda gone.
We might have been able to see Martha and Bailey,
How much fun would thatta been?!)

Anyhow
This year an American won the Golden Spurtle trophy
with
Bob's Red Mill Natural Foods
Organic Scottish Oatmeal
out of Milwaukie, Oregon USA

(picture grabbed from the internet)

Woohoo!
We'll be looking for that brand!

Some of ya might think of porridge (oatmeal)
as the most boring food on earth.
Some might think of it as a comfort food.
Moma says it's a great source of complex carbs
and it's been proven to lower bad Coal Less Trawl
(whatever that is.)

We know it warms up NinaGirl's tummy in the mornings before school
and makes her feel full and happy.

And we happen to love it.
('specially with frozen blueberries on top)

Though we usually only get to lick the bowls
on this day we got a helping all to ourselves.


Thank you, Winston!
You can request porridge as often as you wish!


26 comments:

Gus said...

yummm..porridge is one of our favorites. And we love your snow. Have a great adventure or two for us, OK?

gussie

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

Snow!
Snow!!
Snow!!!

Fergi looks like she was having SUCH a great time!

Tank Woo fur sharing all your fun!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

Asta said...

I'm Back I'm back sweet sissie and bwuvvew!!!
I've missed you so and am so happyy to see you wel and wawm and eating that lovely ,yummilicious healthy powwidge thanks to dawling Winston. He is a wondewful edition to the faily that's fow soowe!!1
All those changes..was I gone that long???
It seems a whole season went by and I missed it.
I love seeing you quietly watching all the deews and geeses and biwdies and then seeing you womping in the snow..Fewgie sweet sissie, I love youw enewgy so much..I wish I could come play wif you in that white floofy stuff.
I'm falling off my feets I'm so tiwed and I have have lots to tell. I hope i'll be able to stawt tomowwow!
I love you all
smoochiest of kisses
youw sissie
ASTA

Sally said...

What lovely photos!!! I cannot believe how quiet you were with the dear! I would be shouting my head off at them - I guess, your household has better manners.

I love the snow celebration dance Miss Fergi did - I would do the same!!!

We are fans of porridge too - but we like an extra dollop of sugar - we never get it - but we always try!

Lots of licks
Sally, Paddy and pal Douglas.

Joe Stains said...

Snow!? That is crazy, it was 90 here today!! We were watching the Rockies baseball game it was FUREEZING there. Stay warm guys!

Hamish Westie said...

How wonderful to learn that our national dish is being appreciated on the other side of the pond (although a little embarrassing, I must say, that we let an American beat us at our own game!)
Cheers, H.

Anonymous said...

Whoaa..! Dat looks like soo much fun!!

Cheers,
Maxx

Ziggy Stardust said...

Those are such nice pictures. Wow you have snow, we don't have any yet here. You can keep it there for just a little while, ok? The porridge does look very yummy and I am going to bug Mommy to make me some.

licks and sniffs,Sasha

Dexter said...

That was a lot of bambis in your yard all at once. They were getting one last taste of grass before the snow.

Fergi caught the snow madness, huh. Not unusual.

Slobbers,
Mango

Bruce said...

Wow, you live in a magical land with all those beautiful animals roaming about...and the snow...and then on top of all that good stuff, you get porridge! Life couldn't get any better!
your cat pal,
Bruce:)
p.s. I love your knit hat Winston!

Bobby said...

I thought it was cold here, leaves falling off also. But wow you have snow already.

Noah the Airedale said...

Oh my goodness, you've got snow already. Hmmm do you think you're in for a long winter? How about the deer in your backyard. That's amazing.

tailwags
Noah Willow Tess Lucy

D.K. Wall said...

We love when the big dogs come to visit like that, though we are very jealous that you got snow.

Rocky Creek Scotties and Rocky Creek Ramblings said...

We were wondering if you were getting some snow!! YEAH!! We love snow!!!

XOXO
Piper, Carrleigh and Java

Kelly said...

Hi guys! I loved seeing all of the beautiful scenery where you live! Those deer and geese, so close to your house! And the gorgeous snow! *sigh*... Oklahoma doesn't look like that.

Miss Fergie, you were so cute dancing in the snow! And then you got to go in and warm up with some oatmeal- how perfect!!

Maxmom said...

Hello there you two special Wires (or is it now 3?)
Wow, how amazing to see all that snow! It really is beautiful and thank you for sharing it with us! Must be quite a change with the weather change and what better way than to warm up with Oat porridge.
I must ask my mom to make me some too.
Lots of love and licks to you all.
MAXDOG IN SOUTH AFRICA

Martha said...

Snow!!!!!! We cannot believe it!!!!
How lovely to see Fergi dancing round enjoying the moment.
As for the deer........come on you have to bark bark bark!!
Is there no basset blood in you?
We will have to get a video when we see deer!!
Now the porridge we approve of but sugar? You have got to be kidding!!
This is the English way to eat porridge - we blame Eric the Square Dog - he must have introduced this dreadful porridge habit!
Now you must learn to have your porridge without the sugar if you want to be a proper porridge eater!
Lovely relaxing pics in your post today - we are all chilled just reading it.
love you lots
Martha & Bailey xxxxx

White Dog Blog said...

I love oatmeal with blueberries and brown sugar, too! The snow looked like a fun way to work up a hearty breakfast appetite. Glad to see all of the beautiful nature shots...you have a lovely location.

Karen Raye and Bentley Beargrass said...

That brand of oatmeal is awesome! And your landscape is beautiful. We're a bit jealous here; just sultry humid days with lots of rain and still hot! Enjoy!

Sally Ann and Andy said...

Y'all are very nice to give Winston his favorite food.
Sally Ann

Scruffy, Lacie and Stanley's Place said...

Oh my dogness...so much to comment on here...OF COURSE you needed a hoooge bowl of oats to keep your tummies warm with that SNOW!! We cannot believe you have snow already! We're still waiting for Indian summer, but it seems like Pittsburgh has gone from summer to a rather nasty prewinter that's cold and cloudy and windy...hmm...we'd rather have snow!!


Secondly...um the deer pix...TERRIERS BARK...

We see deer we go ARFARFARFARFARFARFARFARFARF...ya get the pic..of course our deer are so used to us they laugh and keep eating our bushes...sigh...we get NO RESPECT!

Thirdly, we have a fabbertastic time in Boston and we GOT YOUR COOKIES THAT ASTA SHARED!!! OMD...thank you ever so much...they are pawstively delicious and look just like me..and well Scruffy and Stan too, but that's not important...

As for Aggie's tail...OK...

I watched her Fergie...take notes now Girl...she uses that Dippity Doo stuff and smears it all over her tail...if she runs out of that she has a hooge jar of Mango Suds...(they stink...)...after she gets her tail all wet she rolls it with a GINORMOUS orange juice can...trick...in the opposite direction...like down...(her long tail curls naturally over her back....) and voila...in the morning her tail is pawfect...she sprays it with Mango Suds-Spray and it holds ALL DAY LONG....

I've never seen a tail look so amazing...that pic of her jumping...mine hangs down...her's never moves...sheeshch...NOW we know her secrets!!

Missed you guys and thought of you last night...Mumsie was watching "Animal Cops, Philadelphia" and they exposed a ton of Pennsylvania puppy mills...Mumsie was sick...just sick....

Love you guys!!!

Laciegirlie

Scruffy, Lacie and Stanley's Place said...

Jake...

Have you ever seen a dog talk as much as Lacie...

Sheesch...

Scruffman

Astrid Keel said...

holy moly, that snow is PAWSome! You guys were so calm watching the deer... I'm so impressed...

and Winston... in a past life, my mosmter must have been related to you cause she likes porridge as well!

Koobuss said...

Hi guys,

Boy, all that food and all that eating sure makes me hungry. I think I'll even eat my dog food after seeing all that!!

Great pics, guys.

It's a little (okay, a lot) too soon for snow. You can have it. Please keep it on your side of the Mississippi. We will get our share, but please, NOT YET!!!!!


Love and Koobuss Kisses,
Koobie

Amy & the house of cats said...

Wow you are all such good doggies not to scare the deer away! That is great because that way they get to eat. And wow that is a lot of snow - I have to say that I am not looking forward to when it snows here - it is very pretty but makes it so hard to get to work!

We have oatmeal every day - I know porridge is the same but since ours is the packaged kind it seems better to call it oatmeal.

Duke said...

Mom loves oatmeal too and we just love your hat, Winston! It's just adorable on you!

Love ya lots
Maggie and Mitch