Friday, October 2, 2009

Morning Breaks

It's a new day.
In a new home.
With a family that loves me.



The question of "reality" has come up around here.
They talked about it before I arrived.
I'm told it was a conversation even before Jake and Fergi started blogging.
They told me someone said,
"Everyone knows dogs can't blog. It's their people who talk for them."

Brilliant, that speaker was.
Hrrmph.


It's especially been a topic around here during the past few days.


Real.
Realness.
Reality.


So.
Did I promote that?
Maybe.
Did I reinforce that topic?
Probably.

What is Real?

Wikipedia will tell you it is "everything that is."
Whether or not it is observable or comprehensible.

(I'm a talented fellow.
Didn't take long too figure out the technology available these days
It's lots different that what I knew during my earlier life.
It's fast. Convenient. Accessible.
And it potentially reaches a lot of folks.)

Anyway.
I like to think about it.
Reality
Being Real
Becoming Real
I like to try to understand.

I have my own opinions about what is Real.
And I'll probably share some of those thoughts.
Read 'em. Or not.
It's up to you.

(Jake and Fergi have already said I can use their blog from time to time.
They are generous little creatures.
Even if feisty sometimes.
That's okay.  They are young. In spirit.
And just experiencing life for the first time.)

We are all going to learn from each other.
That's what families are about.

 Right now we're mostly thinking about my being here.
And allowing time for settling in.


Morning is one of the best times for that.
It's quiet.
It's a new day.

And we all love the sunrises.

(Well, some of us love them more than others.
A couple of us like to sleep in.
Cozy under the covers.
But we won't point or name any names.)

I learned my first morning here
That sunrises are beautiful off of our deck.


They happen slowly.


Majestically.


And they make me stop and appreciate life.



I'm not the only one who feels that way.
Gobs of authors more famous than I have written about dawn and early mornings.

(I love to read. So does my new moma.)

For instance:
Henry David Thoreau said,
"Morning glory is the best name
It always refreshes me to see it."


And long before him

Marcus Aurelius  (121-180 AD)
Roman Emperor and Stoic Philosopher said,
"When you arise in the morning
Think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive
To breathe, to think, to enjoy, to  love."


I have no trouble with that these days.
Neither does my family.

I can spend a long time gazing
Feeling the sun's warmth
Thinking of the glory of a new day.


And, in my own way,
I'm pretty sure I'm promoting that in my family.


We are all taking time to appreciate the day's first light.


And we're slowing down to think about what's really important.
Together.


So.
What is Real?
What is being Real?

Am I Real?

I'll start by saying something someone else said before me.
(I think his name was SkinHorse)

"It isn't how you are made.
It's a thing that happens to you."

"It doesn't happen all at once."
You become.
It takes a long time."

"That's why it doesn't happen to people who break easily,
or have sharp edges or who have to be carefully kept."

"Generally, by the time you are Real,
most of your hair has been loved off,
and your eyes drop out
and you get loose in the joints and very shabby."

"But those things don't matter at all,
because once you are real
you can't be ugly,
except to people who don't understand."


I love my family.
They understand.
I am Real.

One last quote.
I don't know who this came from
But I like it:

"We can only appreciate the miracle of a sunrise if we have waited in the darkness."

It's worth it.

Now.
It's time for my morning tea.
And I think I have a new challenge.
Her name, I'm told, is Fiona.

That's all for now.
WheelessWheelie


27 comments:

Gus said...

Lovely post. We appreciate that you are willing to share your wisdom. 'Specilly since we think you are EVEN Older than Muzzer

gussie

Kelly said...

Hello Wheeless Wheelie!

It was such a funny coincidence, as I read the first few lines of your post, I thought to myself "Oh! I need to share with him my FAVORITE quote from The Velveteen Rabbit!!"

... and then you beat me to it! You are so sweet and wise! I am so happy that you are in your forever home now.

xoxo Pearl

Rocky Creek Scotties and Rocky Creek Ramblings said...

What a beautiful thought provoking post. And you've picked a REALLY WONDERFUL family to call yours.

XOXO
Lilly, Piper, Carrleigh and Java

Piappies World said...

Hi there!

We are happy you found a great forever home. The photos by the balcony are really beautiful! Thankies for the nice messages you leave at our world.

See you again!

-Fudgie, Princess & the Piappies

White Dog Blog said...

Your wisdom enriches us all! We will look forward to hearing more of your thoughts as time goes on and you blog with us.

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

Your post reminds us of the Velveteen Rabbit:) You have arrived at a beautiful place where all your sunrises and sunsets will be heartwarming.

Woos, the OP Pack

Dexter said...

Oh we just loved your post! So many things to think about. You are most wise and well read.

Enjoy your tea.

Slobbers,
Mango

Agatha and Archie said...

WHOA..this kid is deep...and we must say we like his thoughts and quite agree with him..soooooooooo..this is what we are going to do....We will make you an honorary wheeless WFT wheelie....maybe that will satisfy Eric and then we are off the hook with this take over thing( it really does take up a lot of time thinking about it anyway...) Love A+A PS your sunset is quite lovely...

Amy & the house of cats said...

This is a great post - you have found a wonderful family to spend the rest of your life with - that is for sure!

Duke said...

You are very wise beyond your years, WheelessWheelie!
Your sunrise photos are stunning!

Love ya lots
Maggie and Mitch

Sally Ann and Andy said...

Wow, Foster the WheelessWheelie, you are very smart and very cute. You have some good thoughts on life.
Mack

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

My mom is smiling!

She was thinking The Velveteen Rabbit and then I showed her the khomment from our pals in OP KS!

GMTA!

What beaWOOtiful pikhs!

Tank woo fur sharing!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra
PeeEssWoo: As fur the people doing the blogging, I don't believe that - I mean, I'm using my paws to khraft this khomment!

Anonymous said...

amazing view from your balcony! thanks for sharing it with us!

Cheers,
Maxx

Asta said...

Sweet Sweet Wheeless Wheelie


what bootiful thoughts..that soft glow of mowning ..I can smell the aiw and feel the soft wawmf of the sun fwom youw pictoowes.
You have aways been weal to me..I have nevew evew questioned it..I love you and want to heaw all youw quotes and wise wowds that you have absowbed ovew youw long life and youw thoughts that have come togethew while you wewe thinking in the dawkness
sip youw tea and welax in the sun my sweet little one.
I think Jake and Fewgi will benenfit fwom youw pwesence in mowe ways than I can say
love and smoochie kisses
ASTA

Martha said...

Oh Wheeless Wheelie, we are just loving your posts!
We find you are very wise indeed and as you say that kind of wisdom takes time.
Many humans open their mouths and say a lot of words - not many listen to their hearts in the wonder of the morning glory.
We know you are going to be well loved in your new home with your new family.
It doesn't matter that you are old and tattered - you are indeed beautiful in the true sense of the word.
Embrace your new life - just make sure you stay out of reach of Jake - we are a bit worried that he might eat you!!!
love you lots
Martha & Bailey xxx

Bruce said...

Yes Wheeless Wheelie...you ARE real! I know I love you too!
your cat pal,
Bruce:)
p.s. please tell your new Mom that I LOVE this post:)

Martha said...

We have just been reading a non dog blog about people who visited the Isle of Skye. You will have guess by now that this is our 'special' place in the world!
There was a quote at blog header that immediately made us think of you wheeless wheelie boy. It said

"Reality is Perception, Not a Reflection of Truth."

We kinda liked that and thought you would too!
xxx

Lacy said...

w00fs,me likes the piksurs..me is just a puppy, me likes squeerls and likes to chase cats...mama liked the thinkin part, but me tries not to let her think to much..

b safe,
~rocky~

Maxmom said...

I have often wondered what us doggie-bloggers have in common (besides our pooches)...

The answer, I think, lies in each of our needs - to share our uniquely personal reality.

The interesting thing about blogging is that we are shaping our experiential world in a form that we would like to share with other in cyberspace. Why?, who knows?, but no one can argue that it is a form of personal expression!

(I have to say that it sometimes difficult for me to understand the happenings on your blog, but the point is that its YOURS and a picture of what YOU want to share)

Your sunrise pictures are truly majestic...they evoke the reality of the sunrises I have seen and the hope that they bring in all the promises of a new day.

Please forgive me if I am wrong, but an essense of 'loneliness' radiates from your writings - like many of our blogs.

You might be interested in something I wrote a while back:

http://perhapsintime-cam.blogspot.com/2009/08/where-to-turn-to-for-help.html

Do look after yourself! You are special too...just like your wires!
MAX'S MOM IN SA

The Black and Tans. said...

Oh we did enjoy putting our paws up and reading this post. So interesting and with such wonderful photos.

Molly, Taffy and Monty

Unknown said...

Wheelie Real.. I knew it. Love is never fake.
norwood

Anonymous said...

Awww sweetie, you are as real as I am and you haven't even met me so how do you know I'm real?

You got LOVE and that's the most important thing no matter what!

Hugs from Autumn

Deefor said...

Nice sunrise pictures. That velveteen wheel-less sure is philosophic. Does this mean you are now 3 doggies?

Astrid Keel said...

What a great post... and lovely photos of the sunrise!

Scruffy, Lacie and Stanley's Place said...

Oh Wow.

I'm barkless again...you keep doin' this to me Wheelie Boy and I'm going to be completely MUTE...

And for the Lacie...that's nigh impossible.

Our big sissy read your quote from the Velveteen Bunny at our Bruvver's wedding this past June...now all Mumsie can see is the wedding and instead of Sissy at the microphone is YOU...W- Squared....

Have you thought of becoming an inspirational speaker?

We read through some of the comments...

Your bloggie makes your readers THINK. (Lacie rather frantically wonders when the last time one of her postings made someone think....then she is comforted by thinking of her DATEbook and knowing someone must have THOUGHT of her...a bit SHALLOW she is...)

As for the writers of our bloggies...are they masked? And do their masks ever slip? Sometimes...but underneath those canine masks lies caring and love!

And it's REAL.

Just like us, Wheelie Boy...

Thoughtful Kisses...

Lacie

Pee ess...

It is only a rumor that I pierced Scruff's lip to see how a ring would look...I'm thinkin' bout doing his nose next so I can lead him around...

umekotyan said...

Good evening Wheeless Wheelie
Small blog runs greatly about the world.
The life of the forest of Henry David Thoreau is also reading also by me now, and a very interesting story that obtains the house though the story.

The light in the morning runs in the world, and runs through with friend's origin.
The average of the myth of Japan also recalls a certain story.
When the light on the day in old times disappears, people are the talks of having held the ceremony to call the light on the day.

The world is made to awake, and the myth is created every day when the light in the morning is fresh.
I also feel the beauty of the accumulation of every day. :D

from loved ume tyan

Hamish Westie said...

Hi Wheeless Wheelie,
Of course, with my parallel universe theory, there can be many different versions of reality, all happing at once......
Cheers, H.