Thursday, April 9, 2009

Grazing and Gazing

They say I used to be a fence runner.
I'd run the chain link fence and bark like a maniac
at the dogs on the other side.

The only time I bark now is when I'm playing.
It's a bark of absolute crazy happiness.
I'm ordinarily a pretty mellow sort of guy.

I've got a great view off my deck
and I love to stand out there and look over the field
and down at the pond
and up the hill across the way.

My head fits  perfectly between the rails of the deck.
I think they designed it just for me.
There are almost always geese to watch.
Year round.
I love to provoke them and chase flocks of them away.
It's probably not the right thing to do, but it's fun.
And rabbits.
There are hundreds of them.
So many I pretty much ignore them most of the time.
More often than you'd think
bigger four leggededs hang out in my "backyard."
There are lots of deer. Mule deer, they're called.
Those guys have huge ears.
They are basically tame.
And they eat our plants and flowers.

There are also even BIGGER four leggededs.
And I love to watch 'em.
Elk.
Huge elk.
Bull elk and their cows.
And they consider the neighborhood their domain.
They take up residence and hang out for weeks at a time.
This picture was taken right off our deck.
So was this.
Mom agreed to take me outside on this particular day.
That fella was taking a break between the houses.
I let him.
And I watched.
At a reasonable distance.
I'm not stupid.
I know they are bigger than me.
Usually there are at least three of them together.
This day there were three bull elk.
I looked to the north.
I looked to the south.
And I spotted another right off of our walk-out basement patio.
I sat inside and watched him for hours.
Mostly silently.
Sometimes barking
in an effort to get him to talk to me.
(They do talk sometimes, but just to each other.
It's called bugling.
They have other things on their mind when they bugle.
They could give a rip about a wire hair fox terrier audience.)
But I'm happy gazing.
I can do it for hours. 

12 comments:

Gus said...

Are you guys living in a nature preserve of some kind? Those are GREAT pictures, but you've got such a variety of "other" critters to watch! We got birdies, squrrrrrls, and toads. Teka eats the toads. Bad choice

gussie

Rocky Creek Scotties and Rocky Creek Ramblings said...

Our Mom is sooooo jealous - she has always wanted to see Elk in the wild. This morning when we went for our walkie, we saw a small flock of wild turkeys - 1 strutting gobbler with 16 hens and a lookout. As soon as the lookout turkey say us, the gobbler put his tailfeathers down and they flew away. We find it hard to believe a bird that big can fly -some of them must weigh almost as much as we do.

Have a wonderful day and enjoy watching over your domain.

XOXO
Lilly, Piper, Carrleigh and Java

Dughallmor Beagles said...

Waaaaahhhhh! We saw the geese and it perked us up....then the bunnies, we were excited....and then....OMD!!! You get those massive deer type things that wear trees on their heads??? Mother is trying to peel us off the ceiling now!K...we're on our way, we'll be there soon....and we won't be doin no gazin neither :D I mean, apart from the awesome chase factor....you get at least three flavours of poop to eat and roll in....we're there!
Fantastic photos, so furry cool to be in your backyard!
Slobbers xx

Princess Patches said...

Oh, my doG! You have the coolest critters to watch! We used to have foxes and deer, but then they built a school behind us! The only wildlife we see, now is birds! We hope you two have a great weekend and Happy Easter (or whatever you celebrate)!

Aire-hugs,
Poppy, Penny & Patches

Lorenza said...

You have very interesting "neighbors"!
Sure is pawesome to talk to all of them!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

Baby Rocket Dog and Hootie said...

That is so great to have elk right there and they aren't afraid of you! Our elk & deer up in farrr N.Idaho always give chase when they spy us. A moose did stand her ground for a few minutes under our deck, but I (BabyRD) made her run off. We don't have any pond or steam on our property. That would be so awesome to have a pond like you! XO-BRD & H

Baby Rocket Dog and Hootie said...

PS ~ Hootie was fascinated with your cartoon on the sidebar of the WFT singing,"woof-bark-woo"!!
Mom sat the laptop on the chest and Hootie just stared at that moving cartoon. XX-BabyRD

Stanley said...

Hey, Jake! You've got yourself a regular zoo right there in your backyard! Very cool.

I'm amazed that you're not barking your head
off the whole time they're out there. They
would totally get me going. You strike me as
a Zen kinda guy. Sure, you're crazy and know how to have your fun, but you're a deep well, man.

Goober love,
Stanley

Asta said...

Jake
What a faboolous place to live!
Always something to watch , nevew a dull moment. You suwe awe polite to those big guys. I think the least they could do is talk to you a little.I guess not evewyone is as sweet as a fox tewwiew
smoochie kisses to you and Fergi
love
Asta

Duke said...

You have a very fun yard, Jake! We have Canada geese and bunnies but we have never seen an elk before!

Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch

Rocky Creek Scotties and Rocky Creek Ramblings said...

We have an award for you on our blog.

XOXO
Lilly, Piper, Carrleigh and Java

Joe Stains said...

omdog!! Your yard is like your own little zoo back there!! I can't even believe you can get that close to the elk, you are very brave!!