Friday, April 17, 2009

Entertainment Tonight!

It had been a long day.  Mom worked away from home on Thursday. (Just so you know, we've NOT been spoiled just because she's been home a lot the past couple of weeks. We've still had chores and responsibilities -- Yeah, right! -- We've slept. We've eaten. We've gone on walks. I've played. Fergi's chewed on a bone.) But today, Thursday, since Mom was gone, that meant I had to stay trapped in "my room" - so she calls it - and Fergi had to stay in her crate. (Mom tried giving Fergi the freedom of the big tiled bathroom once, but that didn't work so well. Fergi spins in circles when she gets anxious. She gets anxious whenever Mom leaves. If you watched the long puppy mill video, you saw some spinners. That's Fergi. Anyhow, the one time that Mom barricaded Fergi in the bathroom, she (Fergi - not Mom) just span and span (is that a word?) in the entire room. That was shortly after we adopted her. Mom came home to find Fergi panting and circular trails of - shall we say - dried poo on every tile in the bathroom. Fergi had not managed to miss one. Next Mom was the one who was spinning and spinning cleaning it up. From then on, Fergi has been crated when Mom goes. She spins in her crate, too, but she's safe. (Farfel tells her to think of it as her princess' carriage. A special place. We've tried to think how we could decorate it to look like Cinderella's carriage. We just won't be able to put wheels on it.  It'd roll out the room, for sure. And, by the way, her spinning is getting less severe. It's about time we need to set the webcam up on her again, so we can spy on her and see how she's doing.)

Anyhow, I digressed. Today was the first time that we've been left home alone for a couple of weeks. We HAVE been spoiled. So has Mom. But today she worked and Nina had to stay late at school. Neither of them got home until about 6:00 in the evening. The weather was moving in, so our walk was short. We came in and did something we don't do too often: we sat down and turned on the television.

Nina held me and something immediately captured my attention. There were dogs on the screen! It was Animal Planet. And it was the National Dog Show 2009, in Portland. Right there in front of me. Right at eye level. Dogs. Terriers, to be specific. I couldn't see as well as I like, so I hopped down and got up close. I thought for sure those dogs were going to come out of the box and into our room. I wished that they would. I think I'd do just fine with a dozen or so dogs in our house. Until they wanted to play with my toys.

They (my rescuers) told Mom I liked to watch television. I really don't do it much. Probably because we really don't have it on much. But when there are animals on the shows - or commercials - I love it. This night was no exception. I cocked my head. I craned my neck. I tracked them across the screen. I looked for them when they walked off the edge. I jumped up. I jumped down. I even got Fergi just a little interested. Bottom line, I had a good time. It was fun. (And I didn't bark.)

  
  
  
  

I could have watched for hours. But Nina worried it might hurt my eyes, being so close. Mom had to mention that I was smearing nose juice all over the screen. And Fergi had long ago left the room. Personally, I was having a great time. I watched the Scottie win 1st place and the Smooth Fox Terrier win 2nd. I never saw any Wires. I guess there weren't any as handsome as me, so they didn't show them tonight. I can continue to claim "Most Handsome Boy Dog" in our house. I like it when they croon over me like I'm the most perfect dog in the world. It feels good.

Now Nina is studying Biology and Fergi and I are ready to sleep. It's been a hard day. But a good one. And, from what I understand, there are several good days around the corner. (It's going to snow !!!!)

13 comments:

Rocky Creek Scotties and Rocky Creek Ramblings said...

We would have loved to watch the dog show - we love TV. And the Scottie won 1st place -- YEAH!! YEAH!! AARRROOO!!!

We're wondering about your snow - how deep is it? We all love snow and so does our Mom.

Have a fantastic Friday.

XOXO
Lilly, Piper, Carrleigh and Java

PS - we wrote about your weather on our blog and now we're going to add about the Scottie winning the dog show.

Jake of Florida said...

You wrote: "That was shortly after we adopted her. Mom came home to find Fergi panting and circular trails of - shall we say - dried poo on every tile in the bathroom."

We had one of those "events" shortly after they brought me (Jakey) home. We called it Black Friday!!!

So, we must have been watching the Portland show at the same time you were -- and we kept waiting for the wires -- but they didn't show up -- neither the dales nor the welshies nor the lakies. Perhaps they edited it for the TV.

Anyway, sometimes it is fun to curl up with the folks and try to figure out where all those dogs go after they appear in that box!!

Jake (of Florida)

Rocky Creek Scotties and Rocky Creek Ramblings said...

We were just able to watch the puppymill videos this morning. It is sickening and disgusting and we think they should be abolished. We have emailed the link out to our doggie friends that don't blog. Tomorrow we'll include the link on our blog too. The word needs to be spread. We have added a link to the videos at the top of our sidebar.

Thanks for making people aware.

XOXO
Lilly, Piper, Carrleigh and Java

Gus said...

Hey...there is a (relatively) old movie available on DVD called "Best in Show." I love it. Muzzer puts it on the TV to watch me come running when they call out..."Here Come the Terriers!" Other than that, I don't watch much TV, except Antiques Road Show!

gussie

the TN Bull Terrors said...

Hey, the Rocky Creek Scotties sent us over! How very cool about the Dawg Show, looks like you are watchin the Colored Bull Terrier in that one picture! WOOHOO! Our new sister LizzaBella, that's not a foster anymore spins too, but she's getting better. We added you to our bloggie list.

Feather, Darla, Pappy & LizzaBella

Unknown said...

Hi! You are such a smart Wire Fox Terrier to watch the dog show for so long! How cute is that? Spencer's crate is called his "happy place" every time he had to go in we put a treat in there and said "go to your happy place" and he goes right in! Now, I don't always give him a treat, and all I have to do is say "go to your happy place" and no matter where he is in the house he just runs right in.. But now, he is a gentleman in the house, and I can leave him and he usually just sleeps on my bed or couch.
I guess it is much easier to be brought up as a puppy in a home than go thru what your pups had to. So sad. BUT such lucky dogs to have you now!
Amy and Spencer, her trusty Wire

Unknown said...

Those felted dogs are amazing! Are you going to try to make some? I've never seen anything like it before! I'm going to have to explore this a bit! Very interesting.
Thanks for your blog! Such a joy!
Blessings, Amy

Asta said...

Jake
You awe so clevew! and obviously the most handsomest that's why they didn't bothew to show any wiwes. I love those pictoowes of you watching the TV..I think I'm mowe like Fewgie, I get bowed wif it, hehehe
maybe it's a giwl thing. I think it's nice to have a special place to call all youw own, Have you seen my fwiend Agatha's bomb sheltew? She won't let Archie (hew bwuvvew ) in thewe..it's all hews.
Have a gweat day
smoochie kisses
ASTA

Bobby said...

We watched a dog show too is that the one the little white Poodle won. Pip just barks at the TV so he is not allowed to watch. I hope Fergie becomes less anxious soon, we have had foster dogs like that.

Scruffy, Lacie and Stanley's Place said...

Oh Jakie...I love to watch TV too!!! You should come over some night and we can make some popcorn and watch the Dog Whisperer!! I love to get nose juice all over the tv too...it drives the peeps crazy!!!!! I go insane at at kind of animals...it's the best!!! Scruffy doesn't watch at all and Stan will if it's interestin' enuff...

Oh Jakie...we watched those videos...oh my...why doesn't the government shut them all down?? And make pet stores illegal?? Yeeshch....it's just wrong!

Love to you both sweet Foxies!!

Laciegirlie XXOOXXOO

Dewey Dewster said...

Jake....Looks like yer a Ginger Wire...how cool....'n yer a bit like Toby cause he likes ta watch TV too especially if there are any animals in the program or commercial...but he barks...'n growls too...'n that gets me 'n Mom riled up and then we have ta bark 'n growl too...so then there's a ton of commotion in the room 'n Gram 'n Pap can't hear what's happenin'...but that's cause they're busy laughin'......don't ya just love terriers ????

Dewey Dewster here....

Joe Stains said...

I don't watch TV much, but Tanner likes it. The only thing ever on our TV is baseball! Glad you guys have been spoiled, its no fun when the humans leave. Tanner has to be in his crate when the humans leave, otherwise he eats EVERYTHING. He is from the pound so we have no idea why he is the way he is, but he cannot learn to NOT put everything that fits into his mouth.

Asta said...

Fergie my sweet fwiend
I would like to send you a cawd I made fow you, but I don't have youw peemail..
mine is astawire at gmail.com
pleez send youws to me if you can
thank you sweet dweams
love
ASTA