Saturday, April 18, 2009

Fergi Meets Dr. Batch

It snowed today (Friday). Just like the weatherman said it would. But it didn't get so bad that Mom couldn't take us this morning to the birthday store (PetCo) and the party store to get ready for Saturday's celebration. The weather started getting bad, though, about 3:00PM. The snow really started coming down and the slush on the streets was probably 4" deep within an hour. It was wet, soggy and messy. But that didn't stop us from our next adventure! Mom had made an appointment for me to go meet Dr. Batch - my special veterinarian. I've heard about him for months now. My whole family really really likes him. He's knows Jake, and before him he knew Molly and Kizzy (Mom's first two wires.) My people told me that not only is he an exceptionally good doctor who works at an exceptionally good veterinary hospital, but he is one of the kindest and most gentle people that my family has ever known. I could sense that I had nothing to really be afraid of. I was a little anxious, but nothing in comparison to that of which I'm capable. I wasn't spinning in circles or panting. That was a good sign!

So, we bundled up (Jake came along) and drove to the hospital. We traveled on the highway to get there, and several cars blasted huge waves of slush up and over our car. That startled both Jake and me, and I pretty much had the shakes by the time we got to our destination. But we made it safely.

Here we were. Mesa Veterinary Hospital.
I could barely read the sign.
Nina carried me to the covered entrance
then pretty much drug me through the doorway.
This was brand new.
It was cold, wet and it smelled funny.
I really wasn't too crazy about the idea of going in.
Memories of the first few days on a leash returned to me.
The brakes went on.
And the first thing they made me do was step on a scale.
No lady likes to be weighed in public.
But nobody made a big deal out of it.
And I busied myself smelling where other animals had stood.
We had to wait for a few minutes.
I can't say I was too thrilled.
Down went the ears.
The tail had been down for a while
(and didn't go back up until we got home)
They decided to let me get used to the table while we waited.
I stood. That's all. I just stood.
Like a statue.
With my tail down.
And, surprisingly, I gradually started to relax.
Something told me this was going to be okay.
I even started to pick my head up just a bit.
I think maybe I smelled some treats.
Yep. There they were. Behind me on the counter.
Next to a bunch of pokey needles and other odd smelling stuff.
Then the door opened. And there he was. 
Dr. Batch, DVM.
He was smiling. He moved slowly.
He was every bit as wonderful as I had been told he was.
He understood that I needed a quiet voice, a gentle touch, and time.
I relaxed way more than Mom ever thought I would.
I even ate treats that he offered.
Again and again.
I trusted this man. I knew I was in good hands.
I liked him.
(I hope he realized that.)
He checked me over. 
He confirmed that I probably am truly nine years old.
He could tell by my eyes. They are starting to show some changes.
But they still see well!
He said I'm a very fit nine year old 
with a good heart, "well defined triceps"  and nice strong back muscles!
He talked to Mom and Nina.
He told them I have a medial luxating patella on my back left knee.
Nina even felt it. But since there are no clinical symptoms, 
it's nothing to be concerned about right now.
He gave me my shots (and even used a smaller gauge needle,
since I am such a sweet delicate thing!)
And he told me I'm a good girl.
We were all happy.
We were especially  happy to get home.
The roads had gotten bad and it was nice to pull into the garage.
We looked forward to a fun weekend.
Saturday's my birthday, 
and it will be my first birthday with my furever family!
I think it is going to be special.

11 comments:

Gus said...

We think it is going to be very special too. Happy Barkday

gussie n teka

the TN Bull Terrors said...

We think you & LizzaBella would get along great, she acts just like you do & will start spinnin if she gets nervous. And your Dr. Batch sounds like our Dr. Steve, he's the best. Ain't it great to be lucky enough to have a good vet??

Feather, Darla, Pappy & LizzaBella

Rocky Creek Scotties and Rocky Creek Ramblings said...

Fergi, you did good with your Vet - he looks nice, like our Dr. Jim. Lilly gets to go see him on Monday for her yearly checkup.

We would love to be there to play in the snow and celebrate your birthday with you.

Have fun.

XOXO
Lilly, Piper, Carrleigh, Java and their huMOm

Eric said...

Fergie...nearly your barkday! I'm glad you got to go to the barkday store. Did you pick a few things out for yourself? Mom says that's the height of bad manners - but if they put at grab height it's all fair game don't you think?

Sorry about your snow. Doesn't it knows it's April? I'm pleased your vet visit went well. That vet dude looks kind and caring, that's good.
Tell Jake if watches too much TV he'll end up with square eyes!!!

Happy Sunday.Wiry wags, Eric xxx

Scruffy, Lacie and Stanley's Place said...

Fergi....

Happiest Barkday, Fergie!!!! We're so happy we've gotten to know ya and we're so excited bout your Barkday we're yappin' and yippin'!!!!!

Too bad that snow had to come....we heard 'bout the storm on the news this mornin'...we wondered if you were going to hafta be out there with your shovel!!!

Now, I hope you had a hooge chunk of you cake to snarf down...pressies??? Did ya get pressies???

Sounds like your vettie is a kind man for sure; we know you've had a really tough background...but we hope when you meet hoomans who love you and have compassion for us animals that it helps a little...

Love to you and Jakie!!!

Barks,

Laciegirl

Pee ess...I got stuck under the deck today and Scruffy dug me out...it's not the first time I've been stuck under there, but the first time he went to ground like a total earthdog to rescue me!!! Come lookie at our blog!

Luna "The Scruffy Yacht Dog" said...

Dear Fergi,

Sure looks like you have a nice doctor. You are are such a beautiful girl. Happy Birthday hope you get lots of treats.

Luna Licks,

Looney-tunes

Lorenza said...

Hi, Fergi!
Happy Birthday!
I hope you had a pawesome day celebrating!
Glad to know your Vet is a good person who knows how to treat you!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

Asta said...

Fergie,
I'm so happy that you got to and fwom youw vewy nice dogtows safely in that stowm. He is a sweet man, I can tell, and will take wondewful cawe of youw health. It's gweat that you got such a good bill of health fow youw special day.
I hope the celebwation continoos fow quite some time..you look bootiful..I love youw polka dots( I have afew too, but youws awe pwettiew)
smoochie kisses
ASTA
pee ess some of those awe fow Jake too

Baby Rocket Dog and Hootie said...

A good vet is a pups best friend! Dr.B. seems like a real gem.
We love our Idaho vet, Dr.Roland Hall and a special vet buddy, Dr.Marty Becker. They love us unconditionally, like our parents!!
Smooches,
BabyRD & Hootie

Joe Stains said...

Your VET sounds like a wonderful doctor. I have those luxating patellas too and I am 10 and haven't had a problem with them so far. You are very brave to go to the VET and the good news is, you don't have to go there too often!

Duke said...

Dr. Batch seems like a very nice vet, Fergi! We're so glad he went nice and slow with you and rewarded you with treats!

Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch