Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Memories of Snickers ... Stitches of Love

It snowed like crazy here again. One day it's warm and sunny and the next day it's a winter wonderland. Last night we went to bed and big white heavy flakes were coming down hard, fast and furiously.  Accumulations of up to three inches an hour were gathering. Announcements were made that schools would be closed and businesses would open late this morning.  Sure enough, we woke up to a foot of snow. We know it'll all melt quickly and it'll be warm and sunny again. Soon. (The sun is poking through right now.) That's simply our spring weather pattern. This is how we get our moisture in Denver's semi-arid climate. So. Right now we are tromping through the heavy wet white stuff. Again. Luckily we sort of like it. And unquestionably it is beautiful.

So.  Here's the problem. We were all long and fuzzy. Both of us. Like woolie bears. Then we started blowing our coats. All over everything black that our Girl and our Moma wear. And we were starting to get a bad reputation for a breed that supposedly doesn't shed. So. Figures. Moma took it upon herself to rid us of all our furs. One morning we were warm and wooly. That evening we were practically naked. Yep. It's the truth.

You probably already knew all that. And you know about our weather. And you know that we have a simple and wonderful solution. Our jammies.

What you may not know is a story that goes with them. And how very very special are jammies are to us. And how very very special they will always be. Always and furever.

So we'd like to tell you. It has something to do with the little girl in this spectacular recent painting by Ami, Asta's mommi. This is the beautiful portrait that was created just for Butchy and the four catses and most especially for MamaLamb. In celebration of their very special Snickers. The amazing wirey girl who touched so many lives and brought so many families together in love and support. The girl we'll always remember. And recall as the sweet and brave, tenacious and wonderful wire fox terrier that she was.

It all started back in August of 2009 when some of the girls were planning a spa day and a sleepover.  (This is me, Fergi, by the way, pawing out this post.) I'll admit that I worried about that party. It was my first experience like that and I really didn't know what to pack. Someone suggested simply "pack up your cosmetics and your jammies and come have fun." Problem was, I didn't have any jammies. Still, I got things together and I joined my new friends. I arrived and had a wonderful time. My friends made sure I was comfortable and not too overwhelmed. When it came time for nighttime giggles and girl-talk, we get ready for bed and I saw the cute jammies the other girls were wearing. Snickers had on MooJammies and my sissie Asta had on some cute mint green and pink floral jim jams.

When I got home, I told Moma that I wanted some of my own. I loved those jammies the girls were wearing. (I can't continue the story without including, Jake did not want to be left out.  He made it clear that he'd like some too. More masculine ones, of course, but nonetheless jammies.)

So, Moma started communicating with MamaLamb (Butchy and Snickers moma) and let her know she'd like to order some special jammies for us for Christmas. And plans got underway. MamaLamb sent a very detailed sizing chart and both Jake and I stood very still for careful measurements. And, the funner part, I got to look at several pictures of Sweet Snickers in her lovely jammies to help decide just what color and pattern I wanted. She had some lovely pink floral ones. And some solid bright pink ones. And she looked so beautiful in them all.



Moma and MamaLamb talked and talked about what colors and what combinations would be best. Little did Jake and I know at that time that we would have new jammies for Thanksgiving.

And here is where the really special part comes in. It's very special to us. You see, MamaLamb was busy making our jammies when Miss Snickers was at her sickest. And MamaLamb told our Moma that it helped distract her and keep her busy.  On 20 November 2009 I got an email from Butchy that said "Mama and I were having so much fun, we were making Jake's jammies. We made yours last night. I actually helped Mama the whole time too." That meant a lot to us, that they were working on our jammies even though Snickers was so very sick. Sadly, two days later, on 22 November 2009, Snickers joined the other angels in heaven. And three days after that we got another email that said, "Jake and Fergi, we forgot to tell you your jammies should arrive on Friday or Saturday. We hope you enjoy wearing them as much as Snickers always did and Butchy still does."

Well, there is no question about that.  We absolutely love our jammies. Mine exactly match my sissie Asta's and Jake's make him feel like a handsome svelte athlete. And we both feel like and believe a little part of Snickers went into these very special jim jams. They arrived in time for Thanksgiving and we were able to enjoy them in the comfiness of our home.  We certainly gave special thanks that very special holiday for the love that our sweet friend had shared with us. She and Butchy were some of our very first friends when we first started blogging. And now, whenever we wear our jammies, we think of Snickers with so much fond remembrance and so much love. And we always will. Now and furever.


30 comments:

Maxmom said...

That is an absolutely beautiful story and beautiful post!!! I just love your jammies...you guys look wonderfully cute in them! What a wonderful tribute too to mommalamb and Snickers. I got quite leaky reading about it all. Thank you so much for sharing...and do keep warm.
We love you guys
YOUR FRIENDS IN SOUTH AFRICA

Green-ish said...

That is such a great story about your jammies. We have been out playing in the snow and it would be nice to be able to come inside and curl up in some jammies instead of heading straight to the bath to melt our snowballs off...ha! Stay warm!

-Yoshi and Cody

Bobby said...

That is a good story of how you got your jammies. How kind of mamaLamb to keep on making them even while poor Snickers was sick, I suppose it did keep her busy.

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

We heard about all that snow you got!!! Mom says to be sure to keep it on your side of the state line - she doesn't want any more snow.

That was such a sweet story - we remember when you got your jammies and how sad it was that Snickers had to leave all of us. We know now that every time you wear your jammies, you have Sweet Snickers very close to your hearts.

Woos - Phantom, Thunder, and Ciara

Karen Raye and Bentley Beargrass said...

You guys are so sweet and cute. I loved your post today. Trying to play catch up- been away in Florida for almost 2 weeks. Have all kinds of things to post just not enough time!

Kisses from the Houston Gang!

Gus said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Noah the Airedale said...

Awww such a wonderful post. Thank you for sharing your story.

Noah willow tess Lucy

Stella said...

What a wonderful, sweet story of how you got your jammies.

I am glad you have them for keeping warm when peoples take away your furz.

Kisses,
Stella

Remington said...

Great post! LOVE your jammies! I will have to ask Beth for some....

Amy & the house of cats said...

Oh what a wonderful story! It is so nice that you get to have a great rememberance of Snickers like that. We bet she loves to look down at you in them and smile!

the magic sleigh said...

Wooooos! What a wonderful and touching story and woo got really cute jammies too! We loved Snickers too!
~puppy kisses~
-Kira The BeaWootiful

Jake of Florida said...

What a touching post!

Where we live, we really don't need jammies -- but you look so cuddly in them that we almost wish we did.

Wirey woofs,

Jake and Just Harry

Paco,Milo, Maya and mommy Simona said...

awwwwwwwwwwwwwww dear dear dear friends!!!!!!!!!!!
You're such a wonderful and special friends.....
Thank you for your sweet comment about Paco......We're soo worried for him.....but we know your love and the one of all our friends all around the world will give him and us a great great help!!!!!
We're soo lucky to have you in our life and we hope to meet you one day and give you a big big big and sweet hug!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We'll give you news asap!!!!!!!

Your post is GREAT!!!!!!!!!!
What a wonderful story about your jammies.....we love love love your photos weafring them...you look soooooooooooooo cute...comfy and happy wearing them......
We need to try one of these special jammies!!!!!!!

And your tribute for Miss SNickers is sooooooooooooo special!!!
The painting is fabolous...and we have to admit we saw it before you!!!!!!
Hiihihihhiiiiiiiii....Ami sent us a photo of it under construction!!!!!
;-)))))))))))))))))

WE LOVE YOU GUYS.............NOW AND FUREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have a special and great week!!!!!!!
Tons of love to you and to your special family and sweet licks to Nina!!!!!!!!!!!
MUAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Bobby said...

No I do not mind being called handsome Bob, Its just if I let pups in here call me Bob, well give them an inch they will take a mile.

Asta said...

SWeet sissie Fewgie and Bwofuw Jake,
How you made me smile and then leak in the eyes along wif Mommi today. What a bootiful post.Such a twiboote to the most stylish sweet Miss snickews my vewy special fwiend..I aways think of hew whenevew I weaw my special jammies ow any of MamaLambs pawfect cootoowe cweations.
She is aways going to be ouw sweet angel who we can emoolate.
Thank you fow witing so bootifully my dawling sissie Fewgie
I love all the pictoowes
smoochie kisses youw pwoud sissie
ASTA

Sally Ann and Andy said...

Your jammies are warm with love, and wih warm material.
Sally Ann

Duke said...

You both look so adorable in your jammies! Snickers was such a special girl! We just love the painting that Ami did of her!

Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch

Tucker said...

My humamma is going to have to communicate with MommaLamb to learn how to make those jammies because she keeps making me some that don't fit and I shake them off! That is such a nice story and you all look so good and comfy!

Kari in Alaska said...

it looks to me like you guys have weather similar to that I had growing up in MI. Love the cow print by the way :)

Agatha and Archie said...

Oh dear we are a wee bit leaky but we loved this post......Miss Snickers was such a fashion queen( and now you both are following in her footsteps...) gee we hope that snow is gone SOON...Love A+A

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

Ahhhhhh!

Thanks fur sharing that furry special jammy tale!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra
PeeEssWoo: I know woo snoofed some snow fur me khorrekht???

Anonymous said...

Hi Jake and Fergi!
Thank you for sharing that beautiful story. Have a happy happy day ahead!!

Cheers,
Maxx

Unknown said...

Jake..
You make me so proud that you've used your saltine cracker moves on your fig tree! But now I see your back to wearing pjs... huh! I guess the good boy cute look is a great disguise. You had your mom fooled all along.
norwood

Baby Rocket Dog and Hootie said...

Oh Fergi and Jake this is such a swell story.We loved Snickers so much too and she was a true fashion plate.We never knew the story behind your Thanksgiving jammies. Thanks for sharing it.
Smooches from pooches,
BabyRocketDog and Hootie

ps-You two both really do a good job of pulling off the pajama game!Snickers would be proud.

Angel MoMo and Charlotte said...

The pictures of all of you in jammies are wonderful. Of course it's good to see sissy Asta again in that cute pic.

White Dog Blog said...

And now whenever we see a photo of you and Jake in your jammies, we, too, will be reminded of your special friend and her wonderful family! Thanks so much for sharing that heart connection.

Ruby's Raiser said...

A sweet story. Wonderful, cozy pix, and such a lovely tribute to precious Snickers.

Hope you enjoyed the snow as much as we did!

Martha said...

Our mum was out last night at a special night for a friend. She read your post when she came home but there was too much stuff in her eyes to see the keyboard!
That was such a wonderful story - we were so touched reading it.
We hope you continue to feel snuggled and loved in those lovely pyjamas that were made with such love for you both.
love
Martha & Bailey xxx

Martha said...

We meant to add that we cannot believe your changing weather!
Stay warm!
xx

Coffee Talk with Shar said...

What a beautiful story! You and Jake are such special babies! And beautiful in your jammies too!

Love,
Prinnie