We compromised with Moma tonight. Told her she could help us read and begin to catch up (again) with our blogging friends IF she relented and let us put up one quick picture with one quick explanation. Well. Maybe not quick. But at least an explanation.
So. Remember all that snow that came down on Friday? Well. Most of it is gone today. But more is to come on Wednesday. So. Seeing as how today was a beautiful day, we loaded up and headed to the park where the big lake (and the library) is. For a nice walk in the warm (hot) sun.
See this picture? We've had some comments about how happy we seem to be. Let us tell you the truth.
The first part of the walk was quite lovely. We saw some cute dogs and some cute kids saw us. It's always nice to get a few complimentary passing comments. Well. We were trotting along quite nicely. Just like in our videos. (Almost as nicely. Fergs tends to keep her tail pretty much tucked at the park, but she still mostly likes it.) We got about a third of the way around the lake, near a small housing development and things took a sudden change for the worse. Seems just as we passed some roofers decided it was time to start using their power hammers. SNAP! POP! SNAP! Lunge. Bolt. Jerk. Luckily for Moma (and us) her reflexes were quick (this time.) Otherwise we'd have been long gone. Needless to say, the rest of the walk wasn't much fun. Every dog. Every roller blader. Every bicyclist. Every snap pop snap (by now in the distance, 'cause we sprinted to get as far away as possible as quickly as possible) sent us into a fearful fright and flight. Moma quickly remembered that some things still really set us off. Both of us.
Eventually, on the other side of the lake, we walked off the path and rested in the dry grasses. That's where Moma snapped the picture. The expressions may suggest happiness. But truth be told, the tongues suggest heat, thirst and anxiety (panting). And the ears suggest pure "get us home and back to the comfort of the place we know is safe." We have a feeling we won't be walking around the lake again until the roofing project is over. But that's okay. It's gonna snow again and we're perfectly happy romping around in our own yard.
Oh. One more thing. Moma went in the library and picked up a book on hold. Darwin's Dogs: How Darwin's pets helped forma world-changing theory of evolution. Hamish's Gail led her to it. It'll make good reading material while it snows. And while we lie close to her side (or feet) reminding her of just how special we are and how important our perspective on Life is. Just as Darwin recognized.
OH Yeah! And one MORE thing. Before we forget again! Some of our local Colorado buddies have recently started blogging. Darcy and Bailey. The Dirty Westie and her Cairn Sidekick. Ever since we got to know them (their moma is the one that helped to introduce Fergi to swimming pool swimming - she works with the Parks and Recreation District that opened their pools to us well deserving canines) we've been hoping that they'd talk their moma into helping them share their terrier voices. And they did! So ... stop by their bloggie and say "woof". OK? You can imagine they're peering out their window hoping some new pals stop by. In typical terrier spirit!
OK. Now. We've said our word. We'll get Moma comfortable with our laptop in her lap, me at her side and Fergi nearby in her bed ... and dictate some comments as she FINALLY helps us begin to catch up with our friends.
Guten Rutsch ins 2025
1 year ago





26 comments:
Oh, sorry for the nasty noises of the roofing guys. I know that when I go for a walk and something reminds me of bad times or just plain scares me, I'm done for the day. Sometimes when the bug guy comes, it riles me so that I am just one yappy dog for the remainder of the day. At least our families love us no matter what, right???
Love to all,
Prinnie and her family
We are sorry you got scard from the roofing people. Y'all are both very brave, and I know things will get better with time. If they don't, you always know your Mommy and your girl will always be there for you.
Sally Ann
Gee Jake & Fergi... you sure know how to make us *blush*. Thanks for the shout out! We love your photo today! Wish we could have been walking at our favorite park (the one you are pictured in), but momma had to work. So we settled for a walk around the neighborhood when momma got home from work tonight. Guess we'll all be spending a snowy tomorrow indoors, snuggled up with our pillows and blankets.
Now woo know why Khousin Merdie khame to stay here whilst her roof was attakhked!
Dang woo missed getting to see a ME dog!
I'm off to visit your furiends now!
Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra
Nothing ruins a lovely stroll with loved ones faster than the unexpected boom or crash or squeal! I always run for cover, too...and my poor brother, Quinn, sometimes just stands and shakes. But we know in our hearts momma and dad would never take us anywhere we were in danger and if something suddenly arises that they are there to protect us from harm...Fergie and Jake, Moma and Nina are like that, too! I admire your honesty in telling the story and your bravery for trusting (even if you were scared). Moma's new book sounds like good reading...we are now going to visit your friends.
Oh no! My poor dear Jake and Fergi - I know all about scary sounds (and there still are a lot out there) - I run like a rabbit -when I get home I hide in my favourite spot - until dinner - then I get brave again and come out. But you are safe in your home with people who love you and have the patience to help you through your fears - but in the meantime make sure you get lots of cuddles and kisses - and maybe a biscuit or two!
The book sounds good - D might get it and read it to us...
Lost of licks Sally and Paddy
Too bad those noisy builders spoiled the walk for poor Jake and Fergi. I have been studying the photo carefully, so I can recognize the signs of an upset WFT - the set of the ears etc!
Hope you enjoy the book. Darwin is one of my heroes, so I already knew quite a lot about his life. But the dog theme provided a new angle, which I enjoyed, even though it was a bit forced at times.
Cheers,
Gail.
I grew up with those construction sounds, so they don't bother me, but I know they can be really scary and once you get scared then you are on high alert.
Try to relax and focus on mom, OK?
Slobbers,
Mango
P.S. I think you two would be super duper at tricks and agilities and it is totally fun to do. Plus it is good for your self confidence. Peemail mom if you want some tips on getting started at backupdogATcomcastDOTnet
Yeah...loud bangs deliver unpredictable responses...it's always good to be home again.
Sending lots of love and licks from SA...we're off to visit your new friend.
Lotsalicks
MAXDOG
Hi Jake! Hey Fergs!
I ran right over and said hi to your friends!
I'm so sorry about those construction noises. It breaks my heart that you two are so sensitive to loud noises... I bet in your other life, before your sweet Moma and Nina, there were lots of scary noises. But I love that now you have a safe place to call home. You will always find comfort there!
Thinking of y'all!!!
xoxo
Pearl
Oh what a shame your walk was spoilt. Loud sounds still upset MOnty but he is getting there slowly. Given time I am sure you will be confident terriers as your Mom has loads of patience.
Molly, Taffy and Monty
Hi Jake and Fergie! I am so sorry your walk was spoiled by all of those scary noises. I am noise phobic too!And will drag my Mom to the safety of home as soon as I hear something strange! Kira does not have any sense of hearing (or sense) and will keep walking no matter what.
My Mom said to tell you our tree (Laurel Oak) is native to the south east of US, mostly Florida and Georgia.
-Scampi the bright Border Collie
You're so right -- nothing ruins a lovely walk more than an unexpected loud noise. When I was first rescued, the sound of sudden firecrackers made my tail tuck under and my legs go so limp I had to be carried home. More recently, firecrackers going off nearby, when it wasn't even a day for them, made me bolt so fast that I wrenched my leash out of Dogdad's paw and ran off, the leash bumpety bumping behind me. Fortunately, I was not too far from home -- so when Jakey and Dogdad caught up with me, I was sitting and panting in front of the door.
So, yes, we understand. Home is where the heart is anyway!!
Wirey woofs,
Just Harry (and of course, the Jakester)
Oh my...what a way to spoil a wonderful walk. I got a bit more accustomed to pops and bangs when we had our bathroom redone, because the men who were building were very friendly and they even let me smell the pop bang thingy. Just try to remember the Moma and Nina will take care of you and DON'T RUN AWAY
ok?
gussie
OHHHHHHHH don't we know that feeling( uhhh snow plows and fireworks ECT.......) Want us to write a letter or something to tell them to stop building? It might do something.Archie seems to think he has a lot of pull......Love and kisses A+A
We hate those construction sounds too, but we do like our new furiends, Darcy and Bailey.
XOXO
The Rocky Creek Scotties
Hi Jake and Fergi
We are so sorry about the nasty loud noises that ruined your lovely walk.
We know how scary little unexpected things can be but that in another day you have overcome!
We would be avoiding that place right now but there is often something you didn't expect.
Good work mom in hanging on!! We know when Martha gets a fright she just bolts and there is no catching her!!
We really will visit your friends once we have caught up.
The beginning of the week is always a bit frantic but we wont forget.
Cuddles from us all in Scotland.
love
Martha & Bailey xxx
ps we are soooooooo excited about puppy Bertie!!! Enjoy the book!
Oh no I hope things have calmed down a little and that you have got lots of cuddles.. I also dont like noises and strangers around and hide when there ae ladders and things.. Sending hugs.. GJ xx
Hi Jake and Fergi,
Bless your hearts!!! Load noises use to upset Amanda too. That was my rescued whippet. She was scared out of her wits, We were on a walk one day and a strange dog came up and just than a big bang sounded and Amanda was gone with her leash behind her. We were about a mile away from home. I ran home, not knowing for sure where she went.
She was home on the patio as close to the back door as she could get.
Bless her heart!!!
Kiss for you both, Bambi & Fern
My Deewest Sissie Fewgie and Bwofuw Jakey,
I was sad to wead that those howwid noises wuined youw walk..I can just imagine those tewwibull sounds huwting youw sweet eaws and distuwbing the sewenity of the outdoows.
I have lived in a noisy city all my life, and luckily, am not bothered by it, but many of my fwiends in the neighbowhood hate it even though they've heawd it all theiw lives.
I hope you feel safe and calm now and awe basking in youw moma's love.
(and mine too!)
I'm going to go intwodooce myself to youw fwiends
smoochie kisses
ASTA
pee ess I love the lights on a wainy night and wish you could have been hewe too
Sorry you got scared on your walk. That happens to me sometimes too. Beth gives me a treat....I am still scared but they sure taste good!
Aw dearest square cousins. Nasty mean builders. Sall I come and bite their ankles? Ok. Cousins, a confession. That was me pretending to brave cos really I would be scared too. Nothing to be ashamed about and you two have more reason to be frightened than me.
Remember our Mom's will always look after us. And yours will read you her good book. Cuddle up and stay warm inside sheltering from the storm.
ER who's Freddie? Hey we know who Bertie is though!!! I'm wagging overtime over that one!!
Wiry loves Eric xxxx
Now that you mention it, you do look thirsty and stressed! What a bummer your delightful walkie had to end this way!
Love ya lots
Maggie and Mitch
thanks for explanation. there's is always a lot more to the story than meets the eye!
That is really too bad that those noises disturbed your walk. We hope you can still get out to some quieter places and enjoy the spring. We had all that snow over the weekend and now it is gone. It was gorgeous here today and we did get a good walk too, but the rain is coming tomorrow. Crazy Kansas weather, you never know what to expect.
Woos - Phantom, Thunder, and Ciara
Oh you poor squares to get terrified by loud noises. We would be scared to, I nearly have a nervous breakdown
with fireworks. Hope you are all calmed down by now. Well that was John but with all his waterproofs on I am surprised you knew.
Post a Comment