You know we like books.
All sorts of books.
Including Madeline L'Engle's books.
Perhaps her best recognized one is A Wrinkle in Time.
She also wrote A Wind in the Door.
She also wrote A Wind in the Door.
In that book L’Engle speaks of the image of a star's light going out
every time something bad happens here on Earth.
It’s a vision we can grasp.
And believe.
Well, sadly, a star went out a couple of nights ago.
Before you read further, grab a tissue.
Or ten.
And then read on.
If you read to the end.
You'll find there is a happy ending.
We received a sad message recently.
Another very special wire fox terrier has left for the Bridge this week.
Teddy.
Teddy Bear.
This little dog didn't blog. He was doing his best to survive.
Neither did his Angel Mommy blog.
She stays busy dealing with rescuing and rehoming
scores of fox terriers each year.
Many of you know her: Cheryl, in Iowa.
Cheryl was our angel.
I (Jake) lived with her for nearly a year before I was moved to Colorado.
Fergi made it straight to rescue in Colorado because of her.
Cheryl wrote this note about her Teddy,
shared it with us and agreed that we may share it with you.
So that we may know Teddy.
So that we may know about love, and strength,
and resilience and terrier tenacity.
So that we may know more about puppy mill dogs
and rescue and adoption.
But that mostly so that we could celebrate and always remember the special little dog.
photo by Asta and her Mommi
And here is Cheryl's message about him:
A Prayer for my Teddy Bear
I have had a very dear puppymill dog named Teddy Bear for about three years. Teddy was diagnosed with Cushings Disease two years ago. He and I kept it well-controlled until this summer, when he started to loose control of his back legs and lost interest in living. Tonight (September 11, 2009) at 7:45 My Teddy Bear gave up and went to Rainbow Bridge. He died peacefully lying on a soft blanket with "I love you" whispered in his ear. I don't think he could hear any more, but he loved me, too.
Teddy came to me as a ten year old puppymill dog who was just not adoptable. He had lived in the mills too long. He had in his prime been a beautiful, well-bred adorable dog. He had the most beautiful colors and thickest fur I have ever seen. (But oh how he hated to be groomed - LOL) He was so cute and he looked like a Teddy Bear. Teddy just hung out here and he learned to trust me. He had a peaceful contented life here.
And tonight he is Free At Last.
And tonight he is Free At Last.
Say a Prayer for him as he enters Rainbow Bridge, so everyone there will know he was loved and he did have someone who loved him, for all too short a time, but he did at least know love and kindness before he left this earth.
God's Speed Teddy Bear
After we read this,
Cheryl and Moma emailed each other back and forth.
She told Moma more about Teddy,
much of which was familiar stuff,
reminding Moma of Fergi and me.
This is what she said (reprinted with her permission):
“I would be honored if you want to post my Prayer for Teddy Bear. I am so happy to have a Tribute to this wonderful old man. He was a special guy who just never could come out of the trauma of life in a mill. He kind of kept to himself and just hung out doing his thing. He never played or interacted with other dogs; he could care less. He had lost his Wire Spirit. He was in his own little world.
He came to me a total mess. He was frightened, looked a wreck and would scream as if you were beating him if you ever attempted to touch his neck or face. I do mean scream. It took me at least a year to get him to trust me. I cried the day I finally was able to groom his face without him trying to bite me, scream and fight. I felt it was a true victory.
He walked in tight circles for a long time. He didn't realize he could just walk in a straight line. He finally slowly adjusted and would enjoy a walk around the yard. Teddy finally stopped the circling and he did learn to walk on a leash. He would stretch out in the sun usually on the cement. But he was just not adoptable. I worked with him and I fell in love with him.
Teddy didn't like to be loose in the house. He never did. To the day he died, he would search relentlessly for his favorite safe spot: A big blue wire cage on top of a counter by a window. I had to pick him up to put him in it. He would come to me if I went outside and clapped and called “Teddy, Teddy Bear.” He would slowly walk to me and if I walked out to meet him, he would happily follow me. Then he would push on me. He wanted to be picked up, because he knew I would put him in his safe spot. He would lay in his cage with the door open and I could pet him, scratch his ears, rub his neck and he even learned to enjoy a hug and kiss on his muzzle. He adjusted to loving soft touch from just a few people, but I was the only one he totally trusted.
I cry for what could have been for this beautiful dog. He had the heart of an Angel and the spirit of a Warrior. He had to fight to stay alive in the mills of Missouri. I only wish I could have known him when he was young. He was a short stocky built guy with magnificent colors. A beautiful thick coat. I loved to just sit and pet him I have never felt a more lovely coat on a Wire.
Teddy was in his own world, but he did let me in sometimes. He and I had many special moments and a strong bond of trust. I let him be what he was and accepted him; I just figured I would love him and give him everything I could get him to accept. I never pushed Teddy, I just let him be Teddy and loved him the way he was. He was My dog. He had a master who loved him, cared for him and now misses him. I guess that was the best I could give him.
So. There you have it.
Moma has helped us type through tears.
Tears of Sadness.
Tears of Anger.
And Tears of Love.
But the story doesn’t end there.
Remember we mentioned Madeline L'Engle?
Well, she went on to describe that
just as something bad causes a star to die,
something good, however small,
has the power to help another little star rekindle itself.
has the power to help another little star rekindle itself.
(Mr. Chaucer was actually the one who reminded us
of this image.)
Well, even more recently (September 13) four new little stars were born.
One of Cheryl’s newly rescued foxie Girls,
a female who was removed from a mill pregnant with puppies
whelped four tiny babies
into a world of love and security.
Free of the life of neglect and abuse in a mill.
Here they are with their mama:
Two girls:
And two boys:
So. A bright star dimmed with the loss of Teddy.
But four new ones were born to shine brightly.
As Madeleine L’Engel said,
"For each new birth a star will pulse with light."
While darkness and sadness blanket us
the sky is a little brighter tonight.
And the lives of four sweet puppies are sure to be
filled with love and security.
It helps, we think, to realize the circle of life.
Cheryl wrote tonight saying:
So far Teddy's house remains empty just the way he left it. I am not sure I can ever put another dog in there. The Teddy Bear sitting in there kind of made me smile. He was like a teddy. Thick, soft, with wonderful fur; kind of chubby and so huggable.
We'll miss you, Teddy.
But we'll always remember you.
And every time we look at the sky,
we'll think of the new little stars that twinkle
gently rekindled just as your star dimmed.
Thank you.
So, dear bloggie readers,
We told you when we first introduced ourselves:
we are ambassadors for rescue and adoption.
Particularly puppymill rescue and adoption.
Thank you for letting us sometimes use this forum
in a very explicit (and sometimes painful) way.
It is out of love that we do it.
Love,
Jake and Fergi
Pee S
We just had to add this.
We stumbled upon it as we wrote this blog post
and it seemed fitting.
It's from Walt Whitman
Continuities
Nothing is ever really lost, or can be lost,
No birth, identity, form--no object of the world.
Nor life, nor force, nor any visible thing;
Appearance must not foil, nor shifted sphere confuse thy brain.
Ample are time and space--ample the fields of Nature.
The body, sluggish, aged, cold--the embers left from earlier fires,
The light in the eye grown dim, shall duly flame again;
Another Pee S
If you are interested in dropping Cheryl a line,
We’re sure she’d appreciate some comforting licks and wags.
If you'd like to visit
Wire Fox Terrier Rescue Midwest
here is a link to their website.
You can follow Lily and her babies
and see all the other wirey ones who have been
or are in the process of being
rescued, rehomed, and given another chance.
Thanks to angels like Cheryl
and you.
Woof.
Wire Fox Terrier Rescue Midwest
here is a link to their website.
You can follow Lily and her babies
and see all the other wirey ones who have been
or are in the process of being
rescued, rehomed, and given another chance.
Thanks to angels like Cheryl
and you.
Woof.








53 comments:
What a sad and wonderful story. We hope Mr. Teddy Bear finds some wonderful friends at the Bridge until his own Cheryl can join him.
Gussie
Hey guys, that really is me...I was helpin' dad with his class bloggie and forgot which one of us was signed in.
gussie
I needed evewy one of those tissues..Thank you fow wawning me.Teddy Beaws light will always continoo to shine in the heawt of his angel mommi Chewyl and in ouws, who have wead about him and hope to see him someday ovew the bwidge whewe I'm suwe all his feaws awe gone and he is playing wif new angel fwiends.
Those dawlug little babies awe nevew going to be in a cage of hate like theiw poow moma was bacause of the wondewful wescoo angels.Thank all of them fow me..I amd cwossing my paws that they have healthy ,happy lives fullof love
Thank you sisse Fewgi and deaw Bwuvvew Jake for telling us all baout Teddy beaw
smoochie teawfulkisses
ASTA
Thanks for warning us to get tissues. That was so beautiful. We were happy sad all at once. Such a wonderful story. So much love and what a lucky guy to find a mom who knew that he wanted his safe spot and took such good care of him.
Slobbers,
Mango
We don't know what made our Mom leak the most - death or birth. Our thoughts and prayers are with Cheryl - she is an angel.
XOXO
Lilly, Piper, Carrleigh and Java and Lynn
We are so sorry for the loss of Teddy and how sad it makes you, it makes us sad too and we didn't even know him. But look at those babies with a chance for a great life and a loving furever home.
Mom is leaking and smiling then smiling and leaking...
So many people are poopheads but the good ones SOOOOOOOO make up fur that!
I'll be sure to link to this post on my Thursday blog fur it so fits with my Thinking/Thanking theme...
Tank woo fur making your own difFURence!
Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra
Thanks for sharing Teddy Bear's story.
Teddy is an angel now... so do is Cheryl!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza
Thank you for sharing Teddy's story and the tribute - we are thrilled that the puppies were saved from the mill - no being should ever go through that. We think Cheryl is super lovely - and we will send her a message from our hearts.
Thank you for the tissue warning - it was needed.
Lots of licks
Sally, Paddy and D
That was a very moving story about Teddy. Cheryl sounds like a wonderful person, whi clearly thinks very carefully about how to make her dogs as happy as they can be.
Cheers, Hamish,
Yes, thank you for sharing Teddy's story and for Cheryl's moving tribute.
Lots of love to you all
MAXDOG IN SOUTH AFRICA
Hi Jake and Fergi!
THANK YOU for sharing this incredible story. Like you said on my bloggie, there are a lot of different sides to blogging and we need to share all of them.
Rescue is not always about saving animals and them living happily ever after.... you two know that first hand! Many of the mill dogs spend their lives fighting the demons that followed them. Teddy was so blessed to find a momma who knew his fears and insecurities and allowed him to just be HIM. (Just like YOUR momma is so fabulous with you two!)
I can just see Teddy running free at the bridge, with no more fears or anxieties, and missing momma Cheryl so much. I will say a prayer today for Cheryl... she seems like an incredible woman and advocate for animals.
xox
Pearl
Oh goodness, our mum needs more than ten tissues!
A very moving tribute and we are so pleased that Teddy did know love and died loved.
We just wish it could have been for his whole life and wholeheartedly agree wtih all that you say about puppy mills or farms as they are in the UK. Unfortunately they are all driven by human greed.
love
Martha & Bailey xxxx
ps we always hate being the 13th to comment so thought we would just add that we loved the puppy pics! xxx
Thanks for the warning about the tissues, we definitely needed them. We are sending our most powerful crossed paws and prayers to the family that they get through this difficult time now.
Wags and woofs,
Jaime, Benson and Gibson
A sad and happy story. Thank you Cheryl for helping and thank you for telling all the stories about doggies who need help.
Sometimes my mom thinks Arrow might have been from a puppy mill cause his tail was docked and he was very scared of people and not house trained when we got him. He was a stray. I asked him but he doesn't talk about the past.
What a beautiful tribute to sweet Teddy. Merci lived with Cheryl and Teddy for awhile when she was rescued. Many things what Cheryl wrote reminds me of Merci and her personality as she lived on a mill for 6 years. The love and trust Cheryl gave Teddy made his last few years his best years.
oh my... we were in tears reading this beautiful tribute to Teddy. We're also glad to hear that he's looking over from Rainbow Bridge and looking after the newborn pups.
Hugs,
Brownie
Oh dear oh dear oh dear,I have sent Archie out to get a row boat as PL2 is really really leaky over this one......Just when she thinks she has stopped leaking she starts up again... And she thinks of the Bridge and all of her past puppies up there and is hoping that they are taking really good care of Teddy and of all the other poor dear sweet animals who have been through this.. oh dear oh dear there she goes again.....On a a happier note,YOU CAN NOT IMAGINE OUR SURPRISE WHEN WE OPENED THE MAIL TODAY!!!!!Oh my goodness you two shouldn't have..PL2 was laughing a the little puppy and at the white gloves! You are all so kind( but we knew that already didn't we) Thank you very very much WE will take a picture to show you where we put it..Love and a squillion kisses Your pals A+A+PL2
What a lovely tribute to the Teddy Bear. And the puppies are a joyful end on the story. They look nose-some cute.
I got my prize pressies today! I am soooooo happy. Come over to my bloggie and take a peeky.
Thankyouthankyouthankyou!
Bonnie
That deleted comment up there'd be one of Moma's. We need to convince her to think before she uses OUR computer and hits OUR send button. She was writing to A + A, thinking she was on their bloggie. Guess we need to teach her how to use a 'puter. Anyhow... she was trying to say "Twuz nothing" to Bonnie and A + A. We love you guys. We love all our bloggie friends.
Now, we must go take care of Moma. We think she needs a smooch or two.
Love,
Jake and Fergi
I came over from Khyra's to say hello, I did as Khyra said shed a tear, but I am so glad I came and read how you saved the little one and made his last years happy. He loved you and knew you cared. That is all that matters. Thank you for caring and loving. I'l be back.
Love GJ x
Hello! I'm Maxx and i just came from Miss Khyra's to paw a hi! Very touching story..me need a tissue now and me usually not the cryin type..
Very nice tribute for Teddy, i'm sure he is smiling!
Cheers,
Maxx
It is furry imPAWtant fur our mommas and daddas to do the rescue and to battle rotten puppy mills - backyard breeders, too. Our momma has done battle with the best of the worst and always won - so far. Keeping everyone in our PURRayers.
Hi, I am Sasha, I read about you on my friend Khyras blog. Thank you for sharing that beautiful story. I was rescued after I was abandoned. I went to a rescue group and moved around to several homes and then my Mommy and Daddy adopted me and I have been a very love pup ever since. My Mom would do anything she could to stop puppy mills in any way she could. Thank you for all that you do and we are glad to meet you.
licks and sniffs, Sasha
Thank you for the tissue warning - mom used every single one of them!
What a beautiful tribute to Teddy bear!
Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch
What a beautiful post. While Cheryl may be sad, Teddy died knowing he was loved, secure, and safe. To me, that is a very happy story. As a family of rescues, we know the damages that were done, but love how the dogs shake off at least some of their past.
Hi there Jake and Fergi,
We got to know about you through Khyra. So sad to hear about Teddy, we're sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing this tribute and we hope that more and more puppies feel love and not pain. Happiness more than misery. Thank you for making a difference.
Hope you we can be friends and share our adventures together.
-Fudgie, Princess, Scrappy, Bullet
oh my, our mommy has happy and sad at the same time tears in her eyes. what a wonderful soul Teddy was.
Khyra told us about your post. What a sad but joyful post! We recently lost our sweet Dakota to Cushings so we know the heartache. But Teddy Bear's mom is such a wonderful person, she gave so much to her little bear, and from what we see here, she continues to keep on giving.
Thank you so much for sharing Teddy Bear's story.
Hugs, the OP Pack
Wow, that's a big one for the heart...
RIP Teddy, you will not be forgotten!
Woof Jake and Fergi! We came over from our friend Khyra's blog.
It's so sad to read about Teddy. We hope he rest in peace.
Hugs,
Sam & June
My assistant has been emotional this week for other reasons, so this just about did her in... especially the thought of Teddy walking around in circles even after he was finally rescued. Thank you for sharing this even though much of it was incredibly sad. Please tell Cheryl we are very sorry for her loss and grateful for her efforts to find homes for these poor dogs.
Thank you for sharing this amazing story...and for being a voice for those who cannot speak for themselves. Don't stop putting the message out to the world! The abused need advocates to fight for their very survival. L'Engle's book is one of mom's all-time favorites.
Thank you for sharing Cheryl and Teddy's story. Run free Teddy.
Ruby & Penny
We came over from Khyra's blog - we wanted to say hello. We are sad to hear about Teddy but glad that he was able to have a wonderful loving home if even for a short time.
We are very thankful that Teddy had a wonderful human to love him. We can tell he did the best he could to adapt to his new surroundings.....some things are just to hard to completely overcome. We will be purring for him and his human.
thank you sooooo much for the Birthday wishes & visiting my blog. I am just back from Vacation, so a treat to read all the comments! Lizzie
We came over from Khyra's blog too. Thanks for sharing a sad but beautiful story.
Sniffie and the Florida Furkids
khyra sent us over!!
Hello!!! You two are super cute!!!
xo martine
What a sad story.. We are so glad that Teddy was adopted by a loving family.. He new can run and be free over the rainbow bridge.. RIP Teddy..
Big Sloppy Kisses
Gus, Louie and Callie
Fergie and Jakie.The big pee just got a little deeper. Mom is crying an ocean. Our hearts are heavy for wonderful Teddy,for every puppy mill dog and now for Angel Cheryl too for her sad loss.Please let her know we are sending many comforting licks and wiry loving her way. We know the shining star of Teddy will guide it safely over.
Thank you too for telling Teddy's story and about the hopeful new lives of theose heaven sent puppies - thanks to angels like Cheryl and your Mamma too.
Wiry love to you all. Kisses too. Eric xxxxx
Just visiting for the first time toady, linked from Khyra's site. What a lovely post. I just recently had to part with my 17-yr old JR terrier, and your words re-awakened many strong memories and feelings. too bad that you didn't have more time with Mr. Teddy, but I can only imagine how he appreciated every moment. Even if you can't totally make up for what happened to him in the mills, I can see how the end of his life was so redeeming.
Congrats on the new puppies - how lucky the are to be born into such a warm place! And how fitting in light of your recent loss...
May your days be filled with warm puppy kisses to help heal you!
Michelle & Brutus
HI Jake and Fergie,
Khyra told us about you. That was a beautiful story about Teddy Bear. My Mommy is crying right now. Cheryl sounds like a very special Mama.
Love,
Teddy Bear
Hey Jake and Fergie,
Your story made my human leaky. I'm so happy that you have good lives now.
I'm lucky that I was born in a shelter and then as soon as I could leave my mommy I went to my furever home. Luckily my furever humans are crazy about me cause some other humans have said they would have let me die before spending tons of monies to save me.
All dogs should have happy lives.
Hoover BPD (Battery Powered Dog)
Jake and Fergi-
Thanks for sharing this. I was aware of Teddy's passing through rescue, but the added words from Cheryl really helped us understand more about this precious boy. Cheryl is indeed an angel, you are right and so is you mommy for being that ambassador. I will never understand, never ever how people can treat doggies this way..no more than I will ever understand slavery as I do think the two similar.
I also wanted to say thank you for the beautiful note about my cousin, Traveler. You put it so beautifully.
Hugs.
I come from Khyra's blog and send much hugs and high paws for posting this. I wish I had gotten to know Teddy and blessed that he found this wonderful mom, with so much love to share.
God Bless
Deetzy & Sharkie
We came by from Khyra's blog. Teddy's story is so sad. How could anyone ever lock animals up in tiny cages to spend their lives? We're glad Teddy and many like him have an opportunity to have a better life, even for a short while. And we can imagine -- Teddy will be missed.
Purrs and tail wags.
Oh my...we are barkless...
What a bootiful wonderful tribute to a wire foxie with the heart of a lion...he may have lost his "wire spirit" that was visible to hoomans, but we think he had the inner steel of a foxie wire that helped to survive and give and receive love...and isn't that the greatest thing of all...
We love you guys...
Lacie, Stanny and Scruffman
Khyra sent us over. Teddy's story made us cry but we are glad he knew love if only for a short time. ~Socks, Scylla, Charybdis & Fenris
It has taken me 7 days and multiple attempts to get through Teddy's tribute. And, yes, crying every time! I was most fortunate to meet Teddy in person at Cheryl's a few years ago. Although I badly wanted to adopt him, I felt the bond between him and Cheryl and knew it was not to be broken. It was like no other seen. Rest assured that my mother (a WFT lover) is taking care of Teddy until we all reach safely.
pj rose
Hi, Fergi and Jake -
This is the third time Mama is trying to post a comment. We think this is a beautiful story.
Mama tried to adopt a brother for me (Hershey) last summer. He did find a great forever home for about six months. He had cancer and passed away about three months ago.
We can sympathize with your Moma's friend Cheryl.
Love -
Hershey and Kaci
Post a Comment