Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Abandoned and Alone


As our Girl sat with us on the porch swing
we read:
"... the little Dog lay among the old picture-books in the corner behind the fowl-house, and he felt very lonely.  The sack had been left untied, and so by wriggling a bit he was able to get his head through the opening and look out.  He was shivering a little, for he had always been used to sleeping in a proper bed, and by this time his coat had worn so thin and threadbare from hugging that it was no longer any protection to him. ... He thought of those long sunlit hours in the garden - how happy they were - and a great sadness came over him.  ... Of what use was it to be loved and lose one's beauty and become Real if it all ended like this?"
We knew right then that we needed to make a difference.
That little Dog needed a home.
A forever home.
Just like we needed a forever home not too long ago.
He needed love.
Despite his shabbiness.
He needed love.
A return to the warmth and attachment he once knew.
But had somehow sometime ago lost.
To be neglected and probably forgotten.
He needed love.
Unconditional love.
Forever love.
And we have the love to provide.

14 comments:

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

Somehow I think that is all any of us want - humans inkhluded...

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

Asta said...

The little Dog must have been so heawtbwoken and alone. I cwy just thinking about it, but then I wead that he came to you, and I know that he has found fuwwevew love..no judgement, just love and cuddles fuwwevew.
Now I'm vewy happy, and can go to sneep wif a smile.
Smoochie kisses to you sweet Fewgi and Jake and to the little dog a wawm hug and soothing smoochies
cuddle up all of you and have sweet dweams
love
youw sissie
ASTA

Maxmom said...

Dear Fergi and Jake (and Mom)
The sun is shining, the birds are singing and it is a beautiful day outside! We are all so blessed to have so many wonderful friends!
That is a beautiful little story! You are obviously well read terriers and we salute you.
Mom wanted also to say thank you for that wonderful George Hemmingway quote you used on the comments section of Mango's blog (I think it was Mango's). It is quite awesome, and if you don't mind, I may use it in one of my near future blog posts?
You guys really are SPECIAL wire haired terriers!!!
Lots of licks
MAXDOG IN SOUTH AFRICA
ps What about you guys coming to SA too?

Duke said...

What a heartwarming story! We love happy endings!

Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch

Rocky Creek Scotties and Rocky Creek Ramblings said...

What a beautiful story.

Your home is full of unconditional love. What more could one want?

XOXO
Lilly, Piper, Carrleigh and Java

Karen Raye and Bentley Beargrass said...

Ya'll are so sweet. Have a great day!

Gus said...

Anydog would be lucky to join your family.

kisses
gussie

Martha said...

We agree with Khyra, it is really what we all want - human, canine, feline etc
The first part was so sad! The best part is that love is reciprocal - the more you give out the more you get back - its a win win situation!
love
Martha & Bailey xxxx

Unknown said...

Ahh, "The Velveteen Puppy!" A classic! I always read this to Mommy when she's debating if I need a bath or a visit to the hair-stripper. Love me as I am!!!

Your pal,

Petey

Deefor said...

I hope that book has a happy ending. Looks don't mean anything I think. (Look at Arrow! We even love him!)

Sally Ann and Andy said...

Hi Fergi and Jake,
That is a sweet, but a little sad book. When I was a little puppy, I was looking for home like that, and then my Mommy found me.
Sally Ann

Two Schnauzers from New England said...

We are so glad that this story has a happy ending. Mama keeps saying how lucky Kaci and I are.

Love -

Hershey

Joe Stains said...

I think we all need that for sure. Great story.

Tee said...

What touching story! YOu reckon we could get ourselves a hard copy?

Licks and wags

The Dog Woods Pack