Wednesday, July 8, 2009

SunCoast Adventures

Jake here.  Thinking about something important.  Food.
(It probably ought to be Fergi writing, but she's asleep in her doggie bed.)
Anyhow.
Food is an important commodity.
Right?
All the dogs around here agree on that.

Moma brought our feeding station and a tub of our kibble when she packed our important stuff
for the trip to the beach.
The kibble lasted for a while.
But soon Gramma's little guys were quick to let us know we had run out of our tasty temptations
and we needed to make a food run.
Andy and Chloe were anxious for us to get more, cuz it's always nice to enjoy a new cuisine.

So, we headed over to the local premium petstore: SunCoast Aquariums and Pet Supplies.
We knew they'd have our brand of kibble.
We'd already been in touch with them and they were expecting us.


This store was unlike the ones we visit at home.

Similar to what we knew, there was an aisle of stuffies to root around in.
I found them right away.


But there were also cool live critters right at eye level.  Critters I'd never seen before.
 

 I've seen humines donning masks, fins and snorkels to see water creatures like this.
But I got an up-close view without even having to get wet.
 

I could have watched for hours.
It was a real curiosity and these swimmies were quite mesmerizing.
 

I looked for Butchy and Snickers' koi, but didn't find any.
I think there are too many of those giant great blue herons around here for humines
to decorate ponds with those fancy fishies.
However
There were other four leggededs in another room.
And for the first time ever, subtle indicators of my hunting instincts began to emerge.

Chinchillas! Odd little furries, they were.

And, even more exciting:  gerbils.

But, now, remember.  I am Mr. Geniality.  Mr. Gentility.  Mr. Everydoggie's Best Friend.
I want to be friends with everyone I meet: two or four leggeded.
Including gerbils.
And they clearly wanted to meet me.
Just look at their eyes.
We communicated, those gerbils and I.


It was good fun.
While I loved looking at them, I have to admit, the true hunting instinct just doesn't seem
to be in my genetic make-up.
I must have some sort of mutation.
Just like I wasn't much interested in doing "you know what" in the puppy mill,
neither do I seem to be interested in going out for the hunt and kill.

Unless we're talking about one of my stuffies.
Now that's a different story.
I could do in a gerbil stuffie in minutes.
And have a great time doing it.

We may have to go back to SunCoast just to get a gerbil or hamster or mouse or squirrel to destuff.
I'm sure they have one.

17 comments:

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

Woo got to go on a khool field trip!

Tank woo fur sharing it!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

Faya said...

Oh you are so cute watching those gerbils ... those are realy curious little creatures.
I hope you will find the perfec stuffy to destuff !
Kisses, Faya

Stella said...

No destuffing stuffees at my house! I have all my stuffees in perfect good shape, all I love to do is toss them in the air and then squeak 'em.

Kisses,
Stella

Sally said...

Wow - you are really well behaved with those gerbils - maybe you are luring them into a false sense of security - so someone would let them out! Great store - hope you return for some fun stuffies to destuff.

You look like you are having a great vacation - lots of licks
Sally and Paddy

Hamish Westie said...

Jake - I think you can be quite relaxed about your lack of hunting instinct. It is a sign of superior intellect, I believe, to have forsaken the highly dangerous business of predation and instead adapted to a lifestyle which involves our humans doing all the hard work - buying us food and toys, taking us for walks, making sure we have nice homes, attending to our medical care etc etc.
Cheers, H.

Tee said...

wow, how exciting!

LIcks and wags

TUffy and the Dog Woods Pack

Maxmom said...

Hey there, Jake and Fergi
What a wonderful post! We think you are amazing that the shop wasn't transformed into a tornado...unfortunately that's perhaps what we would have done!
Mom thinks that the picture of you are the gerbils is the cutest ever!
Thanks for a thrilling post!
Tonsoflove
Maxdog in South Africa

Rocky Creek Scotties and Rocky Creek Ramblings said...

You are so sweet and gentle. We just love hearing about your adventures and we love you too.

XOXO
Lilly, Piper, Carrleigh and Java

Gus said...

Don't worry about the gerbils, I have enough hunt and kill instinct for both of us


Teka toy Dagger

Kelly said...

Oh Jake, don't you worry at all about being sweet and innocent! Real boys dont have to be hunters! I think those gerbils are kinda cute!

Bobby said...

I think you would have made a good vet.

Woodrow, Luna, MJ Campanella said...

Woodrow is the same way - loves everything great with all animals - Sweetie would have eaten them all - gerbils would have been no challenge - she kills skunk, racoon, turkeys, birds, opossums.

she definately has the terrrier hene

deb and the brats

Asta said...

I'm twying to play catch up wif posts and I just saw youw lizawds and now gewbils???and fishies???
Wow it's like you'we on safawee. What a fun vacation. I'm glad you don't want to hunt and kill..I know it's spossed to be in ouw natoowe, but I want to love evewyone too(xept snkes..snakes and bugses scawe me to deaf..I don't want to kill them, I just want them to saty away fwom me.
Happy Looking!

Smoochie kisses
ASTA

Agatha and Archie said...

CRASH......................oopppsss sorry Agatha just fainted....straight on cold on the floor.She wants you to call her on her cell IMMEDIATELY.....She said something about( before she passed out) about having to give you some earthdog lessons as you are a wire fox terrier and MUST get these instincts back right away...Love Archie

Duke said...

We love going into Petco but we never seem to get past the toy aisle! You were smart to tour the whole store and see other interesting pets!
Thank you so much for the birthday wishes!

Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch

Joe Stains said...

Maybe you can get a pet gerbil, you really did seem to make a connection! We had a stuffy squirrel but it didnt last too long :)

Eric said...

Jake. Phew. Thanks for showing me round the pet store. Looked fabbie. And. Thank dog. I often hang my square head in shame but now I know it's not just me...I don't have not an itty bitty of the hunting n killing instinct either (apart from the black lab up the road). A Squirrel? So what?Rabbits - good to rabbit to. Birds good for a bit of a lolopy chase but kill- ewww!! Paws slaps Jake we are true wiry brothers!!

Wiry wags n kissies, Eric xxxx