Saturday, July 4, 2009

in America

You know what?
We consider ourselves very lucky and very privileged doggies.
We live in America.

OK. We know that's not really politically correct.
We live in the United States of America.
We honor and respect all of the Americas.  North, Central and South.
But we're listening to the songs of West Side Story right now, playing in New York City
at the Fourth of July Celebration,
and the America that they refer to is our part of America.
That's what's making us smile.
So, please forgive us our insensitivity.  We thank you in advance.
We know there are lots of other wonderful places to live.
Moma's lived in some of them.  Our Girl was born in another of them.
But right now, America is home and it's America's Birthday.
We're proud.

Our family always looks for reasons to celebrate.
Today was no exception.

We gathered at our Auntie's home. 
All of us.  All five doggies.  All four people.
Grams brought burgers and potato salad.  And Auntie cooked. And grilled. 
The grown up people nibbled on (too much) food and enjoyed chilled wine and margaritas.
(We haven't tasted either, but understand that Asta has a special cocktail we need to look into.)
Us?  We smelled the yummy food.



But we were good doggies.
We didn't eat much (except what was snuck to us) and we didn't get in any dogfights
over that wonderful smelling beef.

We had fun in other ways. We played in the doggie pool! 
 

This was the second year I've (Jake) done this.
Last summer I was pretty scared.  This year I started getting the hang of it.
Seeing as how Fergi has already dived into a river and swam, we're thinking she'll loosen up in the pool soon.
But anything she does is fine right now.  We want her to have fun in her own way at her own pace.
She enjoyed herself.
And I loved playing with a tennis ball.

The rest of our doggie family watched us, not quite so sure they agreed with my enthusiasm.

But Andy eventually ventured in.
I told him he'd be fine, to take it slow and easy.
His mama (Grams) reassured him, too.
(Isn't he a cute little bugger?)
He still wasn't so sure.
He asked me for more encouragement.
And gave his mama the look that said, "Please, may I get out?"
And, of course, she said it was fine.
There'll be another day, and we'll all give it a try again.
We've still got another month here. 
And it just keeps getting better.

And better.
When we found out today that our friend Asta will still be here for us to learn from, laugh with
and sometimes even worry about or cry for,
we all wagged and smiled.
Big.

Happy Birthday, America.
(We're thinking Nina-Girl needs to play in the orchestra in NYC next Independence Day.
Then we can go, get really brave, and see the celebration there.)

15 comments:

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

Happy FoURth plus a bit!

It looks like woo are having a GRRRRRREAT time!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

Bobby said...

Glad you had a great time for the 4th, you look cool in the pool.

Noah the Airedale said...

Happy 4th of July maties. Looks like your having a great time with your family.

Tailwags
Noah Willow Tess Lucy xxxx

Gus said...

We so enjoyed the video of Miss Fergi playing in the pool. She reminded me of my pal Butcho, who has plastic fishies and stuff in his pool to play with. Me? Oh, I'll just get my belly all the way down in the water, stretch out and watch you all have fun.

gussie

TwoSpecialWires said...

Hehehe! Jake here. Don't let Fergi fool ya. She was standing in the background, getting a gentle massage from the Girl, as I played with my ball. She watches me, though, Fergi-girl does. I'm guessing someday she'll be playing with a ball in the pool, too. After all, she's the one who lunged into the Spring River a couple of weeks ago. AND one time, probly a year ago, she got caught splashing all the water out of her water bowl on a really hot day. She's a water dog at heart...she's just not quite ready to show it. At least not in front of a camera.

Jake

Hamish Westie said...

Happy 4th July (a bit late) Jake and Fergi.
Some of us Scottish dogs look forward to the day when we too can celebrate an Independence Day! (But don't tell Gail as she's English - she can't help it so I try to be nice to her).
That pool looks fun, wish I had one here!
Cheers, H.

Maxmom said...

Dear Jake and Fergi
Its so wonderful to have celebrations and wonderful to have friends to celebrate with. You guys look like you had loads of fun!
Enjoy the festivities.
Tonsaluv Maxdog &Co in sunny South Africa

Asta said...

Jake and Sweet Fewgie
I think you must have had the bestest Fouwf..a pool, fuzzy fwiends, gweat food, youw Mam, youw Nina, youw Gwamma..sounds heavenly to me!
I will cwoss my paws that you come to heaw Nina Giwl playing in NYC..that would be faboolous. I could give you smoochies and so could ouw Daddi.We would looooove that!
I was so happy to see you two fwolicking
smoochie kisses youw sissie
ASTA

Lorenza said...

Glad you all had a pawesome Independence Day!
Take care
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

Rocky Creek Scotties and Rocky Creek Ramblings said...

What a beautiful day you had!! We're so glad you are enjoying your time in FL.

XOXO
Lilly, Piper, Carrleigh and Java

Joe Stains said...

I am kind of unsure about pools too, but it looks like you are having a good time for sure. I am glad you guys are enjoying the time with your family.

Kelly said...

Hi Jake! Hi Fergs!

Jake you are just a FISH in that pool! Really enjoying yourself! Sweet fergi was just standing there like a statue, but hey! She was in! That's a great step!

I am OH so jealous of your vacation. It looks so happy and fun! Keep the reports coming!!!

i also hope you had a great 4th of July! Such a nice day to reflect on all of the great things about our country!

Woodrow, Luna, MJ Campanella said...

Happy 4th of July - looks like you guys had a great time - if you are in NYC sometime give us a call - we can show you around

Woodrow, Sweetie & MJ

Asta said...

Dawling Fewgie and Sweet Jake
I hope you have wested up fwom the twauma of the splosions , and awe welaxing on the beach. Is youw Mommi's cold totally gone? I suwe hope so, and I hope the Nina giwl didn't get sick too.
I'm pictoowing you fwolicking in the white sand and evewy once in a while colling off youw toesies in the watew..Have a wondewful dy
smoochiekisses
ASTA

Doctor Dre said...

Hi Jake & Fergi,

Thank you visiting my blog. Very nice to meet you guys!
And no, luckily I didn't get eaten by Hootie that day.
Looks like you guys had great time on the 4th!
Come visit me again sometime!
Dr. Dre

PS. Your friend Andy looks a bit like me.