Moma Editor's Introductory Comment.
As you read this blog
I ask you
To consider how far these two special wires have come
Since the days of their rescue
from two different puppy mills
in the USA Midwest.
For those that may be newer to their blog
Jake was a mill breeder for two years.
Fergi was a mill breeder for eight years.
She was crated in a cramped small wire cage.
Her entire life.
They've both come a long ways
In the past year and a few months.
And each milestone is greatly celebrated around here.
Come celebrate with us!
***
My Big New Recent Joy
by Fergi
For weeks after I first arrived home
Walks weren't much fun.
At first the grass felt awful to my paws
and the leash scared me.
A lot.
After I finally got used to those things
all the noises and sudden movements
made me nervous.
But slowly I grew to love my walks.
Second to mealtime
They became my favorite part of the day.
When spring arrived and flowers bloomed
As you read this blog
I ask you
To consider how far these two special wires have come
Since the days of their rescue
from two different puppy mills
in the USA Midwest.
For those that may be newer to their blog
Jake was a mill breeder for two years.
Fergi was a mill breeder for eight years.
She was crated in a cramped small wire cage.
Her entire life.
They've both come a long ways
In the past year and a few months.
And each milestone is greatly celebrated around here.
Come celebrate with us!
***
My Big New Recent Joy
by Fergi
For weeks after I first arrived home
Walks weren't much fun.
At first the grass felt awful to my paws
and the leash scared me.
A lot.
After I finally got used to those things
all the noises and sudden movements
made me nervous.
But slowly I grew to love my walks.
Second to mealtime
They became my favorite part of the day.
When spring arrived and flowers bloomed
I noticed them
I tiptoed near and around them
And I sniffed.
Just a little.
Moma knew that was one of the best parts of the walks
for me.
The flowers were at nose level
as I ambled by with a slightly tucked head
sticking my nose in
to enjoy the sweet scents.
The flowers didn't move too fast.
They didn't make strange noises.
They didn't scare me.
Summer came
and I sniffed the salty north Florida air.
Tail still down.
Head still slightly tucked.
Not all the way up
but rarely held to the ground.
I didn't know how to sniff the ground.
It never crossed my mind.
And I didn't feel safe to walk without watching
still nervous about the things around me.
Then Autumn arrived.
And I suddenly learned
There was a whole new life to experience.
Moma told me,
Aren't they pretty autumn flowers?
The season sure brought new beauty to me.
and
Our walks now lasted at least twice as long as they used to.
Just a little.
Moma knew that was one of the best parts of the walks
for me.
The flowers were at nose level
as I ambled by with a slightly tucked head
sticking my nose in
to enjoy the sweet scents.
The flowers didn't move too fast.
They didn't make strange noises.
They didn't scare me.
Summer came
and I sniffed the salty north Florida air.
Tail still down.
Head still slightly tucked.
Not all the way up
but rarely held to the ground.
I didn't know how to sniff the ground.
It never crossed my mind.
And I didn't feel safe to walk without watching
still nervous about the things around me.
Then Autumn arrived.
And I suddenly learned
There was a whole new life to experience.
Moma told me,
Autumn is a second spring
When every leaf is a flower.
~Albert Camus
Aren't they pretty autumn flowers?
The season sure brought new beauty to me.
and
Our walks now lasted at least twice as long as they used to.
For I learned the joy of sniffing the ground
sniffing the leaves
sniffing the leaves
and moving from one spot to another
in search of some special treasure.
I was in no hurry to get home.
And I no longer worried.
At least not as much.
And not about the same things.
Since I've been really shy about being photographed
(let alone video taped)
Moma hasn't been able to help me
Show off my "best side."
One day this week she decided to devote a walk just for me
and we went outside together
Leaving Jake at home.
It just wasn't the same.

And I no longer worried.
At least not as much.
And not about the same things.
Since I've been really shy about being photographed
(let alone video taped)
Moma hasn't been able to help me
Show off my "best side."
One day this week she decided to devote a walk just for me
and we went outside together
Leaving Jake at home.
It just wasn't the same.
It just didn't feel right.
And besides, Jake was missing me, too.
He watched and he whimpered.
I looked at Moma
and she could tell by my eyes that I wanted him
to be with us.
So we fetched him.
And we went for a walk together.
Still.
I didn't have much enthusiasm.
Just that little glitch of the first walk without him
Threw me off.
I wasn't the happy self
I'd come to become outside.
So
Moma said we would try again the next day.
And it went better
The next day.
I sniffed in the neighborhood plantings.
My tail was up.
My nose was down.
Little things still startled me.
But I had a nice time.
Looking for any new smells.
We climbed the hill to the reservoir.
(Please excuse the videographer.
We gave her a bit of a challenge at the top.
I found places to sniff.
And we checked out the rocks along the side.
We sniffed in the dried grasses up there.
And kept at it until I found THE HOLE!
(Look quickly at the end.
Moma snapped off the camera too soon!)
But I want it to go down in the records and your memory
I DID find it!
But don't be too disappointed.
That you didn't see the next part of the video.
We don't dig.
Yet.
Still.
It was great being up there.
The days of being caged were far from my mind.
I was happy.
Very very happy.
We headed back to the neighborhood
And there were a few places left to check out
Before all the leaves get raked up.
I got in a good deep sniff.
Then it was time to head home.
And eat.
A good dinner.
A dinner that I've come to know waits for me every night.
In a loving home.
Where I can sleep comfortably
and dream of sniffing.
(It's a really big thing to me.)
In my very own heaven.




31 comments:
Mom started to leak befur she finished reading your mom's khommentary!
She's on quite a few transport lists that start in MO and head to freedom in MN and/or IL -
One day, she hopes the puppy mill humans have to spend time in the same sad existence -
I'm sure your mom smiles many many times a day as she sees the two of woo diskhover something - enjoy something - and hopefully furget something -
Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra
PeeEssWoo: I stukhk my snooter in a leafpile today and had one stukhk on my snooter!
Sounds like a very happy ending for all of you:)
(I'm confused by Khyra's comment - did you come from MO? I didn't see that anywhere)
Hi, Fergi!
Sure is nice that you are enjoying your walkies and I love that you take your time to sniff everything!
You and Jake deserve all the love you are getting from your wonderful family!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza
Ah! Your days are sweet. We are so glad you are in the bestest forever homes, and have a wonderful life now. Smell the smells my friend. Breathe in that air. Keep your pals and hoomans close.
Hugs and snaggle-tooth kisses,
Sierra Rose and mom
Hey there
What a beautiful post and tribute to the resilience of a special doggie! You made us really tearful too. It's people like you, who give these dear creatures a second chance, that should go down in the history books. Fergi looks like such a gentle soul. What a wonderful forever home!
Lotsalicks and happy sniffing
MAXDOG IN SOUTH AFRICA
Oh my sweet sissie
How absolutely wondewful!!! seeing you wif each new big milestone(and they'we all BIG) makes my heawt smile.You and Jake awe bof in heaven. You have found angels on this eawf. Youw Moma and Nina giwl love you so much and celebwate youw evewy happy moment. I loved seeing you cwunching in the leaves and sniffing, sniffing..oh so wondewfuly.
Those pictoowes and videos will aways be in my heawt.I tweasoowe youw successes.
It bwoke my heawt when I saw how you missed each othew. I'm so glad you don't have to be apawt if you don't want to
smoochie kisses youw sissie
ASTA
Hay Fergi,
What a beautiful post!! I am soso glad that you are out of that awful place and you don't have to have puppys everytime you could.
So glad you get walks!! a little thing that is so BIG!! You get to sniff! Wonderful. Thank you Mom thank you so much!!!
Have a great day, Fern
hifergi! such a wonderful wednesday post! Enjoy your day and thanks for sharing it with us!!
Cheers,
Maxx
Sweet Fewgi and Jake
I know when you come ovew we will all be eating at the same table wif ouw Mommi and Moma it's the only way we like it awound hewe
smoochie kisses,ASTA
Glad you're enjoying your walkies. The more smells the better I say. You look very happy. Arrow says you're a great swimmer too.
As a family of rescues, we are thrilled to hear of your daily strengthening! Overcoming the past can take some time, but so great that you are getting the opportunity.
And, of course, we salute your humans.
I am so thankful you two got rescued to such a lovely family.
your cat pal,
Bruce:)
Oh Fergie! What a lovely post! The fall leaves have so many more smells than at other times of the year! And they can be a little scary when you step as they crunch so loudly! But we adore them! And we love thm even more now knowing you are exploring them too! Snow is more silent....but so fun too! We feel like pups again watching you learn about the world! Exploratory barks!!!!!! Laciegirl xxxooo!
Oh Fergi - you made us laugh and cry but the tears were happy tears - we are so glad you have found such a wonderful furever home. We are fairly certain that Java came from one of those awful places in the midwest but he got to get out when he was still a puppy and we're so thankful.
Love and Hugs to you and your family,
XOXO
Lilly, Piper, Carrleigh and Java
Wow...you DID find that hole! I saw it, right there by your paw. Muzzer saw you in person this summer, and she says she can see the good changes EVERY time she sees a videotape of you. We are so glad you are enjoying this fall.
I think the sniffs on the leaves are sqrrrrl footprints. At least, that is what I tell Muzzer.
gussie
Miss Fergi, mom and I get all leaky watching you explore and grow. We know that every new discovery of yours is a huge milestone. Just think how far you've come and all of the fun that lies ahead!
I am sending a big virtual hug to your Moma and Nina Girl. They are just the best!
By the way, your walks are so PRETTY! That Colorado scenery is just fabulous! The other day we were walking in our neighborhood, and a tumbleweed LITERALLY blew by. I thought that only happened in movies. Gotta love the Plains. :)
xoxo
Pearl
Mother and I enjoyed every minute of your learning curve Fergi.
Life is good once your rescued but it does take time.
Hugs, and pats & pets
Woodstock & Blue
You have a fantastic forever home.
Fantastic post and we loved the video's :-)
Hugs Kareltje =^.^=
We were smiling through tears at your entire post and all of your videos, Fergie! We are so very happy that you and Jake have the most wonderful family on the face of this earth!
Aren't the autumn leaves great?!
Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch
Oh that is such a wonderful story. You have brought a little sunshine to a grey day in Scotland.
Thank you!
Hamish.
Fergie, watching you discover just how wonderful the world really is makes our hearts sing with happiness on a day when we are feeling sad!
So nice that you can enjoy all the good smells and good things in life. I think it is wonderful to see how much joy you bring and how much joy you reap.. Hugs GJ xx
You make our Mom get all teary-eyed, the second time today, but this time it was all tears of joy. What a beautiful post! Our Phantom was like that with Dakota - he would not stay outside if she wasn't there too. It took him a while to warm up to Thunder in anyway near the same way. But we are now noticing the little toss of the head when they head down the deck stairs together.
Just beautiful and how wonderful that your pups have found such wonderful loving forever homes.
Hugs, the OP Pack
Geesh PL2 is wicked leaky after reading this post..As for us??proud proud proud....IT IS COMING OUT WE KNOW IT!!!!!!!!! WE SAW IT WE SAW IT!!!!!!!! We gotta say that do not feel alone in being scard of stuff...WE get a little nervous with loud noises and stuff..... SO now I will work on a training session for begining digging 101 that you and your brother can share...PL2 said when she saw the picture of your brother looking at you she got leaky as that is what we do....Let's face it she leaked throught the whole thing..Love and kisses A+A
Fergi, what a bootiful post. Your mommy is a very special type of angel for saving you from that horrible place. Much love,
xoxo,
brownie
Hi Fergie!
Isn't it fun being a dog! To experience life as the beautiful wire fox terrier girl that you are, free as you were meant to be!
Congratulations on the tremendous progress that you've made and the happy, fulfilled life you now have.
We are so happy for you and for the wonderful family that you now own.
Isn't is fun being a dog!!
Love and Lots of Koobuss Kisses to Everybody,
Koobie
Miss Fergi,
I loved reading about your new adventures exploring your world. I can't blame you for wanting Jake by your side. He protects you!
You went to such a pretty spot on your hike. And you almost dug! Don't worry, you will figure it out.
Slobbers,
Mango
Fergi, as always it was a complete pleasure sharing these moments of discovery with you.
Keep up sniffing - we are going to make you an honorary basset hound - we are that impressed!
You did find that hole!!!! You did sniff all those leaves and you raced your mom up that hill!
Like Martha is always lost without Bailey you seemed somewhat lost without Jake!
We couldn't bear his little sad face watching you on the decking!
You two are meant to be together and we can see that you get strength and confidence from being together.
A lovely post - our mum is sad and happy!
Happy to see you coming along so very slowly and surely - one step at a time.
Sad because you are in this position through the greed of human beings of which she is one.
She is sad that there is such unkindness in the world but then through your blog and others she can see there are lots and lots of good humans too.
You and jake together with your wonderful humans are an inspiration.
love and kisses
Martha, Bailey & Mum xxxxx
Fergie I loved your videos. I am so glad that you were able to get away from those terrible breeders and find a wonderful loving home with a great mom and loving brother like Jake. And I am glad you were able to let your mom know that you wanted Jake with your for the videos - it shows she is very in tune with you! I think you were very cute with the leaf stuck to your nose but I love your pictures and videos where you are so smiley - it shows how happy you are now!
So good your videos, you do have a good sniff walk, I love them to.
I am pleased you have a very good home.
Fergie and Jake. Oh me oh my. Mom has made the pond a LOT deeper after this post. You know Fergie,those videos were wonderful. Watching you make your giant pawsteps , learning, exploring, gaining confidence. Crunching throught the autumn flower leaves. I'm in awe. Seriously. But Fergie. It's ok to never dig - I don't, ever. Plus I'm scared of things sometimes too.Don't worry about it. Dream sweet dreams of sniffing.
Wiry loves and kisses Eric xxxx
Post a Comment