We've had a bit of a problem ever since Fergi's surgery.
It has really been the only problem.
But it is a persistent one.
You see, the big bed in Mom's room is Fergi's "safe spot."
It is the one place she feels unthreatened.
It is the one place the people can walk up to her and pet her.
It is the one place that Mom can reliably put on her harness or pick her up.
It is the place she goes (and freely and spontaneously leaps up)
not just to go to bed,
but to rest, to relax
and to get away from all the activity that she wants to escape
(not that I ever cause any commotion or that the people get wild or crazy.)
Fergi figured that place out for herself.
We figure it is because she has never ever had a bad experience on a big bed.
That's the only thing we can think of.
Anyway, since she's got about 20 stitches in her belly
(on the outside)
and probably nearly that many on the inside,
the vet-man said she shouldn't be jumping up and jumping down off the bed.
Well, guess what she did within moments of being home from the hospital?
Yep. You got it. Up she jumped.
(Mom's heart was in her throat.)
So, here is the bed.
It is tall.
And Fergi is quite small.
I'm determined to try to help her understand the new rules.
I checked out the bed and considered my approach.
She listened, but I don't think she processed (or cared) what I was talking about.
"You CAN'T get up here for a while, Fergi."
"It's not safe."
"You MUST stay down."
"But, Fergi, there is something else you need to know."
"Just because you can't jump up here doesn't mean neither can I."
"The rules are different for you."
"I can. You can't."
"Watch."
"I can jump up here over and over, as many times as I wish."
"See?"
"And soon you'll be able to jump up here again."
Unfortunately, Fergi quit listening and walked away.
I heard her mumbling that she has a lot of friends that understand
and are gently encouraging her to be safe.
But Fergi is a strong willed girl and one tough cookie.
When it comes down to it, she'll get up on the bed whenever she can sneak the chance.
(And try to be very careful in the process.)





14 comments:
Poor fergie you need a ramp
feel better sweetie
woodrow
Yes, a ramp or a set of those little stairs like the tiny poodles next door have. PetSMart!
gussie d
(because we think you should be able to FEEL safe and BE safe.)
Fergi here. I opened my eyes long enough to check my comments, cuz I heard the "ding" that they were here. I've gotta add my two bits.
Once I found my legs, I transformed over the course of about one month from a nearly dead fish to a young springy deer. I LOVE to leap (effortlessly) up onto my bed. I can guarantee with almost 100% confidence I would not use a ramp or stairs, despite how wonderful I know it would be, how much Miss PJ would like for me to use one, how many times my humines have talked about getting or making one or both, how very very appropriate either would be. You see, I've still got a long ways to go in terms of trust and play and even coming when my people call me, but I do NOT have a long ways to go in the jumping department. I don't think anyone can take that away from me, until I am very old and very fragile again.
Thank you, though, my dear friends, for your thoughtful suggestion. I guess I have to say it might be better if I wasn't so strong-willed and such a tough cookie. The good news is: Tuesday the 26th will be here soon, and I may get the okay to jump again. I hope.
Love, and appreciatively,
Your limber-legged belly-stitched Miss Fergi
Hi, Fergie!
I was about to sugest some stairs or a ramp but I read your comment!
I just hope you don't hurt yourself!
Be patient! You will be able to jump on the big bed soon!
Take care
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza
Or maybe a whole pile of cushions to climb on, or maybe someone who will just keep the door shut!
Forget it, Fergi, and just go lay down and let people pet you and love you. Healing happens fast then.
Kisses,
Stella
Fergi. It is MY job AND MOM'S job to keep the door shut so you aren't tempted. I know Jake is bent out of shape that he can't get to his throne in the sun on the cedar chest. And I know he doesn't like it when we trap him in there. But we CAN make adjustments for the next ten days, or so. Because it is YOU, Sweet Fergi, whom we want to be sure heals so we can run and leap like deer on the beach in a few weeks. It will all be worth it. Try very hard, Sweet Fergi, to be comfortable in your dog bed. It won't be for much longer. And we'll do our best to keep the door shut.
We love you,
Your Nina :)
Jake
I think youw effowts awe all vewy well, but you jumping up and down sowt of would make sweet little fewgie feel bad that she can't.
It IS and awfully nice and soft and safe lookiing bed. I can't say I blame hew fow picking it as hew favowite spot, and hew leaping abilities awe vewy impwessive. I think it will just have to be the hoomins that do theiw job of shutting the doow.
I hope if they fowget, and you jump up that you will not huwt all those stitchies deaw Fewgie.
The 26th isn't so faw away. you can do this, aftew all you've done!
youw concewned and loving fwiend wif
smoochie kisses
ASTA
It wont be long and the stitches will be out. Then you can get the bed back!!!
xx
Dear Miss Fergie
I am afraid the humans have not accepted the fact that you cannot keep a good Terrier down. Fish gotta swim, birds gotta fly, terriers gotta jump...
D remembers her Welsh Terrier Rowan (he is now at the Rainbow Bridge and we miss him terribly) - after Rowan had a huge tumour removed from his paw - his foot was all bandaged up - the vet said he will be a bit sore and to stay off the bandaged leg. Well, the first thing he did was run over to the shed and look for mice. He soon realised that if he 'clubbed' the shed with his bandaged paw it frightened those little pests and they started running! So they had to work really hard to stop him doing that - but Rowan hit that shed like a Bongo. His foot healed fine - so all ended well - except for the mice.
So you are one tough cookie and I am sure you will be back on that bed in no time - I am sure you will find every chance to jump on that sucker and make your humans panic at the thought of those stitches.
But do take care of yourself - maybe the humans cam saw the legs off the bed? or raise the floor? I guess closing the door is the best solution - but Gods Speed to you and your healing - we are sending you the biggest get well vibes ever...
Lots of licks
Sally and Paddy
Sending you lots of love and get well wishes, Miss Fergie. Bentley and I understand your bed issue completely. Sending Aire-zen to you about that pesky bed issue!
Sending you lots of terrier love. You'll be jumping merrier when your stitches are out.
XOXO
Lilly, Piper, Carrleigh and Java
Oh dear Fergie, when Martha had her stitches in she was not to jump either but did!
We ended up with a stool beside the bed so at least it wasnt so high to jump cos she was a very determined basset.
We do no know if wire terriers are as determined as bassets but we suspect they might be!
Take it easy........
love
Bailey and Martha xxx
Hi Jake! Hi Fergi!
My name is Pearl and I am a PUG! I have been reading your bloggie for a while and I just wanted to say hi! You two are just wonderful and special. I love keeping up with your shenanigans. :)
My momma volunteers with a dog rescue and really has a heart for pups like you and people like your people. Please come say hi to me when you get a chance!
Easy on the jumping, Fergi! I can't really relate, since my chunky little pug body doesn't do much jumping!
We just hope she doesn't get hurt, but we certainly know about terrier tenacity. It is why you guys have hung in through everything and are now our friends.
Post a Comment