Monday, May 18, 2009

Doggie Pause

I need to start by saying,
I'm feeling a bit embarrassed by my behavior with Fergi and my effort to teach her to stay off the bed.
I really do love her and I care about her a lot.
I just get overly rambunctious and enthusiastic sometimes.
Especially when I'm doing something I love to do.
(I love to jump up on the bed, too.)
 
I don't mean to hurt her feelings. 
Not at all.
I hope she understands.
We really are here for each other.
We're learning all about life together, one day at at time.
And each day is a day of celebration.
We make sure we recognize at least one thing worth celebrating at the end of each day.
Recently we've had a lot of reasons to celebrate.

This weekend was the Annual Spring Fling for us wirey ones and our people.
We were invited to go to a place called Doggie Pause in the middle of the city.
It's an indoor/outdoor doggie daycare that was reserved just for our wirey enjoyment.

That was a first for me. Off-leash play. Group play, in general.

It started with a parking lot conversation and some brief introductions.
The sniffing sort of ones.
So far, so good.
In the arrival frenzy, everyone looked sort of the same.
I wasn't sure who I already knew and who I was meeting for the first time.
But once I saw PJ and she saw me, I began to know I was in a good place.
She was happy to see me. She's always happy to see me.
And guess what?
Even Fergi got to join in.
(See her back there behind the fencing? Against the back wall with a black spot?)
She had come along, because we didn't want her to have to stay at home alone, pacing and being worried.
We thought she'd probably need to stay in the car, someplace cool in the shade.
We even found a good place to park.
But once we got there, we saw the nice partitioned-off pens that were clean and right in the big playroom.
Mom brought Fergi's car pillow and sheet in and got a perfect spot ready for her. 
She was able to come in and watch me and the other dogs play.

(Even if she'd not recently had her surgery, all the other dogs would have threatened her.
She still gets scared around them and bolts right now.
This way she could watch and feel safe at the same time!)

Most of the time either Mom or Nina sat with Fergi
and I could go up and check on her whenever I wanted - which I did - often.
It was a good experience for her.
Dogs came up to sniff and lots of people were very kind to her.
She got a lot of gentle strokes and words of encouragement.
(We even think she felt a little braver by the time we left.)

All of this was new for me.
I spent a big chunk of time in the beginning walking around the perimeter.
I wanted to get my bearings.
At first the dogs I was most interested in were the ones painted on the walls.


I found a tennis ball, and played a good game of ball all by myself,
quietly entertaining myself in this new place.
It was fun.

Pretty soon I got comfortable and saw the door that led outside.
I ventured out.

There I paced the perimeter some more, just like inside.
(They said that's what I did at the first rescue place where I lived.
I ran the fence, barking and peering to see what was on the other side.)


Eventually I got more comfortable and explored the big yard.
Everyone sort of wandered around.
People and dogs. It was pretty mellow. And hot.
It was a casual sort of gathering.
Probably considerably quieter than many wirey play-days, 
but that was okay with me. 
It was a good first exposure.
There was some fun stuff to explore.
The wading pool looked pretty interesting, but I never got in.
I'm not a water sort of guy. At least not yet.
(Mom keeps telling me I'd love to swim, once I get the chance to try it in a real pool or lake.
I reserve judgement at this point.)


Honestly, right now, I'm still a people sort of dog.
I found a lot of humines that enjoyed giving me the attention and pats and love that I adore.
I enjoyed watching as much as anything.
And I wasn't the only one that liked to explore.
It was a good group.
A fun time for my first doggie play-day.
I have a feeling I'm going to see and enjoy more of these in my future. 
And back at home?
The mattress is going on the floor!

20 comments:

Stella said...

What a fun time you had, Jake, and I am so glad Fergi got to go along and watch from the sidelines. If she does that a couple of times, she might be ready to jump in when she is healed. You will be her guide!

Kisses,
Stella

Gus said...

Jake...Brothers gotta do what they gotta do to keep their sissies safe. Only thing is, my sissie NEVER listens to me!

better luck to you

gusssie d

Rocky Creek Scotties and Rocky Creek Ramblings said...

Jake - we're so glad that Fergi has you to depend on - we know it makes things easier for her. We just wished we lived close enough to come play with you guys sometime.

XOXO
Lilly, Piper, Carrleigh and Java

Duke said...

It looks like you had a great time, Jake! Hopefully next time Fergi will get to join in too!

Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch

Woodrow, Luna, MJ Campanella said...

We love play dates - we have a couple everyweek usually at our house cause we have a big yard - happy to hear you had a good time

Woodrow - Sweetie - & MJ

Martha said...

Hi Jake
That sounds like a great day - it was nice that Fergi went along even if only to watch - she will learn from seeing the other dogs.
We loved the walls with paintings of dogs on - it looked a nice place!
We laughed at the mattress going on the floor! You have very nice humans who will sleep on the floor for now.
love and kisses
Martha & Bailey xxx

Gussie said...

From one Jake to another - loved reading your blog. Lovely pics!

Kelly said...

Jake, you were so well-behaved at the meet-up! I bet you made a lot of new friends! I am so happy that sweet Fergi had her own little area, where she would feel safe and wouldn't feel completely left out.

You are right that we have some things in common! How exciting about your sissie graduating next year! Let the party planning BEGIN! Another thing we have in common is that my grand-pawrents have a Jack Russel Terrier. My Momma was raised with terriers and she just LOVES you guys!

Eduardo said...

What a fantastic place you went! I hope you go many many more times!
Hugs & Snugs,
Eduardo the Snuggle Puggle

Asta said...

Jake
I think you did wondewfully well fow a fiwst time, and I'm so glad Fergie got to go along and feel loved and safe too.
The fiwst two momfs that I saw the pool at my doggie wun, I wouldn't go in, now I can't even wemembew a time that I didn't love it. sometimes it takes a while to get used to it.
That place looks awfully nice. I hope you get to go again.
smoochie kisses
ASTA

Anonymous said...

Hi Jake,

That playgroup looked pawsome! There were so many doggies that looked just like you! I'm glad Fergi had a good time too. :-)

Sniffs and licks,

Chase

Lorenza said...

Hi, Jake!
Sure you had a pawesome time there! Glad Fergi was there too!
I am sure the next time she will enjoy it more!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

Faya said...

Waaa you had a great time !
Kisses, Faya

Sally said...

Wow Jake - it looks like you had a great time. You got a great bunch of humans - that was nice for Fergie. Watching from the sidelines - that way she can have fun but not worry about any unwanted attention.
You are a good brother - a sissie needs a brother to look out for her and make her feel safe. I am always amazed that Paddy is so brave - I get so scared and then watch him and it helps me - I feel ok and come a little out of my shell.

Lots of licks
Sally and Paddy

Joe Stains said...

well that looks like a whole lot of fun to us! I always do a perimeter search at the dog parks too! Glad to hear the mattress situation is being solved, but we know you just had her safety in mind!!

Eric said...

What a great place Jake, looked like so much fun. Great pics that made me smile for you. All free and easy and some more wiry pals there too. I hardly ever see another one. Cool that Fergie could watch from the sidelines, hopefully she will feel confident to join in before long. And Jake - the water thing. I don't like water either. You're not alone on that one.

And mattress on the floor for Fergie - hehee!!Paws up girlie!!

Wiry love and kissies Eric xxx

Noah the Airedale said...

Sounds like a great day out. We're happy Fergi got to go along even if she stayed behind the wire fence. At least you could go check on her.
Thanks for sharing the piccies Jake.

tailwags
Noah

Princess Patches said...

What a great day you had, Jake! When Fergi is all healed, she should be able to join in all the fun! It was good that she got to feel safe and snuggly while watching everydoggie else play!

Aire-hugs,
Poppy, Penny & Patches

Hamish Westie said...

Jake
Checking the perimeter is the right thing to do in a new place. It's what we terriers do. It's important to know just exactly where one is (and also to locate possible escape routes....)
Cheers! H.

Tee said...

Hello there Jake!

We kept seeing you grinnings from ear to ear in the pictures of your wiry playdate. Looks like loads of fun!

We hopes Fergi is recovering quickly!

Licks and Wags

Tuffy and the Dog Woods Pack