Thursday, May 14, 2009

Everybody on Deck

It's Fergi!
I'm back on board!
It's been two days since my surgery and I'm already feeling better.
A lot better.
I'm not quite up for a hike, yet.
In fact, my humines won't even let me go for much of a walk.
But I've been enjoying the deck. 
It's been warm and sunny and it feels good on my belly.
Mom tried to take a picture of me this morning sprawled out on the deck,
but I'm modest, and camera shy.
This was taken Thursday evening.
I'm not smiling yet. At least not for the camera.
But I do feel pretty downright spry.

Spring has definitely arrived.
There are gobs of baby rabbits in our yard and all over our neighborhood.
They live in our bushes and even under parts of the house.
The ducks have paired up and float down on the pond.
The resident Canada geese pair are trying one more year to raise a batch of goslings to maturity.
We still haven't found the nest. Hopefully it still has eggs in it.
The muskrat have come out of the ground and I can see them swimming.
Theirs are the holes I stuck my nose in on Mother's Day.
The meadow voles are hiding somewhere in the bushes,
ready to tempt us by running away when our snouts get too close.
The place is alive with little critters.
All that young and little wildlife are prime pickings for the predators.

We've seen the red-tailed hawk circling right over our house.
(One of these days Mom's going to get a video of it.)


And at night we can hear the packs of coyotes.
The Girl got up one night to look, and she could see them down by the pond.
(Mom snatched this photo. We see the coyotes, but thankfully, they are usually too far away to get a good picture AND they usually come around after dusk.)
To hear the coyotes, click here.

Hehehehe!  I can make Jake bark every time!
That recording gets him pretty excited.  He's been out on the deck growling and barking.
I bet it'll make you bark, too!

When you listen, multiply the sound by about six, amplify it by two, and imagine it in the dark.
That's what we hear almost every night.

But we're no dummies.
We know that we just might be a tasty morsel for both the hawks and the coyotes.
So we stay, quite contentedly, on the deck.
Watching. Sniffing. And hoping for a sighting.

It's one of Jake's favorite pastimes.
He can spend hours out there peeking through the slats.
 
And I'm learning.
Jake's a good role model.
 
He shows me how to stand quietly and gaze, moving from one location to another.
And, everyone once in a while, I get an extra sniff of my own.

14 comments:

Baby Rocket Dog and Hootie said...

SO glad the operation went well! You are a trooper Fergi! Now stay calm until you are all healed. We'll be back to visit when we get to our cabin. Hi ther to Jake too!!
Smooches,BabyRD & Hootie

Faya said...

Oh, I am happy to read that you are fine. But please stay quiet for some more days and enjoy the "farniente". You are living in a fabulous place ! Thank you for the nice pictures...
Kisses, Faya

Martha said...

Miss Fergie
You are looking good! You are quite right not to allow pictures of you rolling over seeing your belly! How undignified! We have all our paws crossed over here in Scotland for your results. You look so spry there that we are very optimistic. Your deck looks nice and tidy - mum makes note for weekend tidy up of deck!
Cool cool pictures - all of them! We liked the bunnies, the ducks and the birds.
Jake is doing well and is a very good role model for you. It is questionable of course whether Bailey is a good role model for me! Still her postive qualities and confidence in meeting people are good..........
She did toilet train me - when I stood dithering at the door she just pushed right past me and I followed. When I just went in the corner, as you do when you have been in kennels for along time, you gave me a good woofing. She is a very clean dog and seemed quite shocked!
Miss Fergie I think we are both going to be just fine.........
Glad we are friends.
love
Martha xxxx (Bailey too!)

The Black and Tans. said...

It is good to see you up and about Miss Fergie.

Now we have to say the wildlife in your region looks decidedly good for chasing. I know we shouldn't think these thoughts but hey we are Terriers and chasing is what we are so good at!

Have a good weekend.

Molly and Taffy

Hamish Westie said...

Hi Fergi
So pleased to hear that you're on the mend. But do remember to keep being careful now, sometimes you think you're better when you're not quite. And I can see it would be easy to get over-excited when you live in a place with so many interesting critters. I think I would find those coyote noises at night quite scary!
Cheers! H.

Duke said...

We're so glad you're feeling better, Fergie!
We have all of those critters at our house too! Our favorite is Chippie the Chipmunk! Does he visit your house too?
What a beautiful observation deck you have!

Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch

Gus said...

Thank you for sharing your photos. I love your porch. Our porch is nice, but your view is better! We are glad to see you up and around, and hope you can be patient enough to heal before you start jumping on beds and chasing the wildlife again.

gussie d

Woodrow, Luna, MJ Campanella said...

Great to hear you are feeling better - sometime if you are very quiet you will see stuff the noisy dog wont

Woodrow. Sweetie & MJ

Asta said...

Fergie sweetie
I'm so glad you'we feeling bettew. Wemembew not too jump up and down on that big bed.
Jake is such a tewwific big bwuvvew showing you how to have fun and stay safe at the same time. You awe looking vewy bootiful, and I hope soon youw smile will be back fow us.
I hope youw Fawfel doesn't move..I know how much you love him, but if he comes to NY, I will make suwe he thinks of noone but you
smoochie kisses
ASTA

Princess Patches said...

Fergi, we are sooooo glad you're feeling better! Please stay away from those nasty hawks and coyotes! Around here, they like to steal small doggies. Fortunately, we are too big for the hawks and hopefully, the coyotes can't get into our fenced yard!

Aire-hugs,
Poppy, Penny & Patches

Eric said...

Fergie. You are looking very pretty standing on the deck and I like the photo of you do some interesting sniffing of your own. Look at all yjose critters in your neck of the woods. I'm not sure I like them all. I was a bit worried when that coyote howled at me. Perhaps you two should stay safe on the deck. Specially now I've read Poppy's comment about them stealing small dogs. Gulp. Stay safe pals. Nice and cosy inside.

Wiry wags Eric with his paws still crossed. xxx

Stella said...

Its very good to hear that you are feeling better, Fergi! You live in such a beautiful place, we loved the pictures . It will be a temptation to get out and run, but just stay cool and get healed first.

Kisses,
Stella

Kathryn and Ari said...

Fergie, you look great--so glad to hear you are on the mend.

And, hey, thanks so much for our award. We're thrilled!

Joe Stains said...

I am so glad you are feeling better! You have so much cool wildlife in your yard. We have those coyote dudes around here too because we live right by a desert nature preserve. Sometimes they even come down into our neighborhood.