By the time I made it from PJ the rescue lady's house to my forever home, I'd already started to figure out what toys - especially stuffies - were all about. Shortly after I arrived home, I received a huge box of soft creatures in the mail from our Maryland friends. After getting over the shock of all the eyes staring at me when the box was first opened, I learned that a lot of fun was in store: shaking, plucking, squeaking, desqueaking, tossing, playing catch with and unstuffing those dozens of soft stuffies.
Today, all of them are still fun, and there are times that all of them get drug out,
but at other times there are favorites. It is clear that to the humines
that I have an agenda and am on the search for a particular character.
The blue rodent with the anteater nose is one of my favorites.
It is one of three toys that I have not (yet) de-stuffed or de-squeaked.

I'll dig to the bottom of the basket of toys for that one stuffie that I have in mind.
I've been known to fall in and, certainly, to tip the basket over.
Once I've found just what it is I want, I can play all by myself for a really long time.
I'm a one man team.
And I'm perfectly happy.
The play can turn into a real frenzy.
The stuffie takes on a life of its own and flies through the air, often landing in unexpected places that turn the games of fetch and catch into hide-and-go-seek.
I love it, and my people love to watch me.
(Mom tried to help me figure out why this next collage won't biggify. We still don't know.)
(pout)

Fergi, on the other hand, doesn't know what to think.
She is learning to watch, but it is still pretty overwhelming for her.
She used to curl her lip (I ignore her - it's a girl-thing) and go into the other room.
Now she comes and goes, watching me.
Who knows what thoughts are going through her mind.
(It's probably better that I don't know. They might not be complimentary.)
This one particular day, less than a week ago, Fergi noticed one particular stuffie.
Well, it's sort of a stuffie. It is a frog, built around a dense foam ball, with a layer of stuffing.
That qualifies it as a stuffie. Right?
And it has fabric eyes and fabric legs.
She stared at it.
She sat near it, watching.
Looking from the frog to me (I was busy with my blue stuffie) and back again.
When Fergi wasn't looking, Mom moved the frog into the kitchen.
And very gingerly, Fergi walked over, picked it up
AND STARTED PLAYING WITH IT!!!!
IT WAS HER FIRST TIME TO PLAY WITH A STUFFIE!
Even I used my good manners, while interested in what was going on with one of the toys.
(Note: I said "THE" toys, not "MY" toys. I get excited to play with all of them,
but I promise to be good about sharing!)
Mom was thrilled to capture Fergi's "First Play Time With a Stuffie" on film.
Fergi even began to destuff the frog and promptly ripped one eye off!
Did you hear her POP it out?
I had to go rescue her - or she probably would have eaten it.
We figured this first step was really an "attack and devour" play time.
Fergi is mostly interesting in eating. But there's a first step for everything!
She got a taste of it - playing.
And we think she sort of liked it.
Baby steps, Miss Fergi!
You are getting the idea!
I'm proud of you, little big sister.
We're ALL proud of you
and VERY HAPPY for you!
Maybe one day we'll even play together!
But please don't rip my eyes out. Okay?





23 comments:
BOL! Poor froggie! Never knew what hit him! Go Fergie! I'm proud of her too!
Hugs & Snugs
Eduardo the Snuggle Puggle
Hey! good Job Fergi, someday you might be as hard on stuffies as Teka toy. Right now though, the tail is still down, a definite sign that you are still holding options open.
gussie
We're glad to see Fergi knows how to treat a stuffie. We had a froggie stuffie almost like that one time and now, due to Lillybug, he lives at the local landfill.
XOXO
Lilly, Piper, Carrleigh and Java
Oooh Jake how exicting!!! I'm so pleased for Fergie, baby steps but very very big ones! She's looking as though she will be a natural stuffie destuffer like you. Love your cool collages. And Mom says to tell you what a handsome hound you are.Neither of us have seen a ginger wire before, but we can't image there will be another as hunky as you pal :)!!!
Wiry wags, Eric xxxx
AWWWWWW! It's quite the progress little Miss Fergi!! :D I love ya sweetie! :)
and Jakey....oh boy! ....you're CRAZYYYY!! :) and I love you too! :)
Keep up the craziness kiddos! :)
with all my love,
Nina
Hi Jake,
Destuffing is the BEST thing ever! I love it! That's pawsome that Fergi is learning the art of destuffing and it's so nice of you to share all the toys with her. :-) You are a pawsome big brother.
Go check out my bloggie cuz I left you an award!
Sniffs and licks,
Chase
Hurray Fergie!
Good job!
I have never destroyed a toy but sure looks fun!
Maybe I need to try it!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza
Jake
That is such good news!
You awe a faboolous big bwuvvew! I loved seeing you wif youw mountain of stuffies. I aways have to have just the wight one too, and mystewiously some of them do suwvive the destuffing fow ages, othews go in seconds, heheheh.
Seeing Fergie get a taste fowplaying wawmed my heawt!
like you said , baby steps!
Thanks fow letting us shawe in the fiwst time.
smoochie kisses
ASTA
WOOHOO!!! Hurray for Fergi! She & LizzaBella would be BFF's they are just alike. LizzaBella didn't know how to play either when she came here, only bite her tail. We left you an award on our bloggie! :)
Feather, Darla, Pappy & LizzaBella
It looks like Fergi is slowly comming around. But once she does it looks like you will have no stuffies left.
Thank you for your good wishes for Brenda.
OOPS! Poor Froggie! Oh well!
We are so very happy for you, Fergi! Way to go!
Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch
Geez guys...
That frog looks like one of our toys....why there's a whole pack of 'em sittin' around here waitin' ta be sewed up again by Gram...she even puts patches on 'em til she gets tired of resewin' 'em so we can just rip 'em up again......yep, we sure love our toys....we're sure Fergie will learn ta love 'em too...she took a giant step forward in the play department....
Dewey Dewster here....
Oh we are so glad Fergi is now tasting the delights of destuffing stuffies! Good work Fergi!
Smooches from pooches,
BabyRocketDog and Hootie
I don't really play with my little brother, but I will sometimes let him chase me and I bark at him and stuff. RARELY I will bitey face with him, but it took a while. Mom says I am just grumpy. Whatever, I didn't ask to rescue him from the pound so I shouldn't HAVE to play with him.
We are very glad to see Fergi having fun with that frog. We heard that very satisfying POP when that eye came out. You were good to run in and keep her from eating it.
Ciao Jake and Fergi!
Ahhh, destuffing stuffies -- it is just hardwired into our terrier DNA! La mia ragazza had to dispose of three of my best puppyhood stuffies last week because I had finally removed their squeakers -- and their marshmallow fluff-like insides! Heeeeeee ....!!!!!
Tanti baci!
Lucia
Hello there,
We are visiting from Asta's blog and are happy to meet you! sounds like Fergi had a heck of a first time stuffie experience! That's great!
We look forward to reading more from you!
Your new friends,
Benson and Gibson
Oh my Jake...I have no idea why my mom is leakin' cuz ur sissy destuffed a stuffy...she doesn't leak when we do it that's for sure!!!!
What, Scruffy? Huh...you said that this is the first time she destuffed one? THAT SHE'S LEARNIN' TO PLAY????
OMD, Fergi...congrats are in order sweet dog...oh my....
YOU ROCK!
Love and kisses...Laciegirlie
Hi Jake & Fergi
I read about you on my friend Asta's blog. I thought I would stop by and say hi. I hope we can be friends.
Big licks to you
Suzuki
xxx
Fergie and Jake
I hope youw pootew twoubles cleaw up..it's not so impowtant ..mowe impowtant is you two and youw family to be well
love you
smoochie kisses
ASTA
Hi
I'm wagging over from Asta's blog. Oh yeah. stuffies are fun. I like to think of it as refining surgical techniques.. not killing.
Norwood
We are so impressed that you did a collage!! We have still to try. Loved the pictures. You certainly enjoy your stuffies Jake!!
We are happy to see Ms Fergie coming along so nicely - she is a bit like Martha!! She had no idea what to do with a toy but now destuffing them nicely!!!
We captured her first play on video too and it certainly progresses from there!
It is hard to explain how special it is when you see play - it certainly made me cry!! xx
Hi! We're friends of Stella and are so glad to meet you (and your fabulous stuffies. What great toys you have!).
K&A
Wow, well done Fergie - we know the great joy it brings to see a wire acting normally and enjoying themselves! When Sally played with her first toy and shook it - we almost cried. It took her awhile but now she is a menace to the toy box - so we know this will only get better for Fergie.
Well done on the awards - you deserve them.
Lots of hugs
D, C , Sally and Paddy
Post a Comment