Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Finally

Grab some popcorn and a beer.
Or tea and biscuits.
Or whatever makes you happy.

This is gonna be long.
Really long.
That's what happens when it's a long time coming.


Seems like we've been waiting forever.
For lot of stuff.

For reunions.
For opening pressies.
For warm weather and good health.

And for a chance to finally tell a little bit
about my Christmas Eve stroll with Sally.

Did'ja think I'd forgotten?
Or chickened out?

Nope.
I didn't.
Forget.
Or chicken out.

I have to admit, though.
I was a bit worried that Sally might give up.
Waiting.
We made plans for this time together
So long ago.

But she waited
in London
Looking west.

(Isn't she pretty?
Look how the light shines on her coat.
She looks like an angel.)


And I waited.
In PJ's chair in Colorado.

By the way.
It is NOT true that I stood outside and barked the whole time I was at PJ's.
It is NOT true that I had to be bribed to come in at night.
And that the dog door had to be shut so I couldn't go back out.
It is NOT true that I had a bit of anxiety about being left with My Rescue Angel.

I simply was calling my family.
And calling Sally
I knew what I was doing.
It was they that didn't understand.

Anyhow.
I DID sleep in the chair
(a bit)
and I dreamed.

I dreamed of walking with Sally.
Along the river.
Near the Tower of London.

(The place Moma was afraid she might end up
'cause of some Amercian tea and little bags of ummmm ... herbs
she shipped to my pal Eric and his family.)


I'll let'cha peek into my dream
(I know some of ya have vision that's not what it used to be.)


I dreamed of walking together
near Westminster
in the snow.


(Can you see us?  It was so clear in my dream.)


After a while
I decided I'd better get busy
Get ready
And read.

I didn't want to disappoint Miss Enid.
I was headed to London
after all
Where things are a bit more formal and proper.
(Right?)

PJ had a copy of Miss Enid's Book of Etiquette
and I skimmed it as I rested in her chair.


Finally
I was as ready as I was gonna get
and Butchy came to get me.
He braved the Iowa storm for me.
I owe him.
Something big.

(Thanks, Buddy)

And he flew me to Florida
Where I picked a red rose from my Gramma's garden
(and peeked in the windows to make sure they were doing fine)
(hoping to see evidence that they were missing me just a little)


Then we left.
And Butchy flew me over the Big Pee.

(I wish he'd brought some of the money I'd lost in the poker game
a couple of weeks earlier
but he wasn't really the one who had it.)


The trip was good.
I arrived in London.
Broke
Lost
But carrying a red rose for Sally
Without a clue of how to find her.


Fergi's the one with the cell phone.
But she was a long ways away.
Prob'ly sleeping on PJ's bed.

But nothing was going to stop me.
I found a phone booth and gave Sally a call.
(How embarrassing.)


And
With her help and directions
I found her.
(She later told me I wasn't even late.
I think she was just being nice.)

There she was
In the doorway with Paddy behind her.
Supervising
Approving
Just as Miss Enid suggested should happen.


And my heart melted.
Right there.
Right then.

Sally was every bit as beautiful as I imagined she'd be.

And she seemed happy to receive the rose.
My simple token of friendship.


It looked lovely on her collar.

I breathed easily right away.
I saw that Sally and her family were a lot like me and my family.
Easygoing and relaxed.
We could simply be ourselves.

Before long
We played in the snow near her home
and had a great snowball fight
(I had some real energy to get out
but managed to not bark my fool head off
like I have a tendency to do.)

(photo by Sally)


And
Soon comfortable with each other
and with the permission of her family
We ventured out.

On the town.

Sally took me to the traditional German Christmas market
at Hyde Park
We saw the amazing ferris wheel in the distance
and smelled yummy sausages in the air
(you can read more about it on her blog)

(photo by Sally)


We climbed to get a good view
and to be together
away from the crowd


And later we relaxed in a small pub
enjoying brats and ale


I belched.
A lot.
But I loved it.
Even if Miss Enid would not approve.
(Sally didn't seem to mind.)

We were having a really nice time.
Together.

Ready to venture out further
we headed to the middle of the city
and gazed in the windows of Selfridges and Co.



Sally told me Selfridges is her favorite (upscale) department store
in Oxford Street
open to the world since 1909
Celebrating its 100 year anniversary this year.


We snuck into one of the window displays
and danced with the mannequins.
We made our own music.


And we looked at the amazing decorations
Where I spotted a beautiful pink bauble
(I learned that's what Christmas ornaments are called in the UK
Right?)
That made me think of Fergi.

I love my sister.
She loves pink and all things pretty.


It was getting late
We went inside Selfridges
to the WonderBar
where we quietly enjoyed a late night cup of tea
and handmade English shortbread
(made by an award winning bakery in the Cotswolds)


We talked of our friends
and decided that the girls would surely enjoy
Selfridges Roof Garden Fashion Show

(Perhaps someday they'll come here.)

Knowing our time together was coming to an end
(sort of like Cinderella and the stroke of midnight)
We walked to Trafalgar Square
and quietly roamed among the holiday lights and fountains.
(It had gotten chilly and we both wore our coats)


But we weren't cold.
We were toasty warm and happy.
Our evening had been everything I had hoped for

And
More


So
My Friends
You should know me well enough to know by now
I'm not telling what the "more" was all about.

Some things need to be left as secrets.

But
I will tell you
Back at home
(After we FINALLY got home)
Pressies were pushed to the center of the dining room table


Just out of my reach
(or so Moma intended
I did manage to get a couple down
over the course of the week.)


There was also a package from the Royal Mail
(and this time I KNEW the address!)


After what seemed like furever
(waiting for NinaGirl to get home)
I got to open it.


There were familiar scents inside
and my sniffer told me who and what they belonged to.


Inside I found stuffies (just like Sally's!)


and English Shortbread
(Just like what we enjoyed at Selfridges!)


I played and played


and I shared with my sissie Fergi


I even let her be the first to taste the giant
JUMBOS
Organic Biscuits for Dogs
Cinnamon Honey flavored
Perfect in her (our) opinion.


Needless to say
She approved.

No

That's an understatement.
She LOVED them.


And then
Best of All
There It Was

The beautiful Pink Bauble
On this side of the pee
In our home


Just as lovely as when I first spotted it
in the store window


A beautiful memory of our evening together.
Our Christmas Eve stroll.
Our new friendship.

There to hang on our tree
and to always remind us of Christmas Eve 2009
(Can you see the Union Jack design?)


Now
We rest.



Quietly
Without incident
Peacefully

We remember
And we appreciate friendships
New and Old

And we look forward to what will come next.
2010 is going to be a Wonderful Year.
(Thank you, Sally, for a delightful time.)

Love


35 comments:

Amy & the house of cats said...

Oh Jake that was such a beautiful post! You really do such a wonderful job of describing your wonderful trip! It seems like you and Sally had a perfect first date! We are sure you will have many more!

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

I'm so jealous...

My mom is EXTREMELY jealous...

She's never had anything so magikhal happen to her...

Seeing how happy it made the two of woo has made her get THAT look on her face!

Tank woo fur sharing your special times!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

ScrapsofMe said...

Ah, how sweet! I think you should get the Mangled Ministry award for Most Romantic Guy. You can never go wrong with a rose. Siiiiggghhhhh....some of us just get to dream about dates.

Anyways, I love the pink 'bawbull' you got from Sally n her peeps. And the stuffie you got, that's a GREAT stuffie shake you have going there. You must have been practicing! Nothing like a good woman to bring out the best in her guy.

I hope you have many more adventures this year, some of us have to live vicariously.

sniffies,
Bonnie

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

Such a lovely post, Jake!!! You had the dream date we all would love to have - so magical, so loving, so tender. Thank you for sharing your special time with Sally.

Woos, Phantom and TD

Kari in Alaska said...

It looks like you sure did have a great trip!

Gus said...

Jake, you shared just enough to let us know you had a wonderful time, and not so much that you embarrassed anyone. You are a pawfect gentleman, and Miss Enid would be proud.

kisses
Gussie n Teka

Bobby said...

Jake, You sure did enjoy that date, and you made London look so good, I want to go now. But without a love in your heart it would not be the same. I guess with so much feeling you could have made a rubbish tip seem romantic

Noah the Airedale said...

Wow you and Sally look like a match made in heaven. What a great time you had together. Thank you for sharing your wonderful time together with us.

tailwags
Noah

Blue said...

What a wonderful time you had - Sally is such a sweetheart.

Happy New Year to you all.
Love, pats & pets
Blue & Sir Woodstock

Duke said...

What a fabulous time you and Sally had, Jake, and what wonderful gifts!

Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch

Rocky Creek Scotties and Rocky Creek Ramblings said...

We are so happy for you and Sally - we just think you are the perfect couple. One day our peeps hope to make it across the big Pee to meet their peeps and a few more.

XOXO
Lilly, Piper, Carrleigh and Java

Martha said...

My goodness Jake, you do nothing by halves!
What a wonderful time you had with Sally.
You travelled and saw lots of exciting things and you were in the most romantic of places.
No wonder you two fell in love!
You make the most beautiful couple and we can see how much Sally thinks of you.
How lovely to send you presents to play with - true love indeed when another doggie sends you a stuffie.
Well we still have your last post to read and our mum need another coffee.
It was the most romantic post we have ever read on the dog blogs!
love and kisses
Martha & bailey xxx

Agatha and Archie said...

Sigh...I love a romance novel.....so perfect for you both..You are quite the gentleman..Archie is sitting here grumbling something about It was a game and he put in that bet and how was I to know he was going on a date to England,I would have spotted him..I am not really sure what he is talking about...Love A+A

Kelly said...

Jakey, You are such a gentlewire. That Sally is a very lucky girl!

Angel Ginger Jasper said...

What a beautiful post. I just love a true love story. You did such a good job of telling us all the events.Magical.. Sally is very lucky.. I wish I had seen you when you crossed the pond, next time you must call at your kitty friend's house.. Love GJ xx

Paco,Milo, Maya and mommy Simona said...

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW JAKEEEEEE!!!!
What a sweet post!!!!!!!
We love it!!
You and your Sally are such a Great match....
We have dreamt with you and her.....LOve is such a wonderful thing.....And you were in London....Ohhhhhhhhhh.......soooo romantic.....
you have done tons of special things together.....
and you're sooo gentle...so romantic....roses.....awwwwwwww....
she looks sooooooooooooo beautiful with her rose on her collar.....
Thanks for the dream!!!!!!!!!
WE LOVE YOUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!

The Black and Tans. said...

Oh Jake that was lovely to read. We are so happy you had such a wonderful time with Sally. Happy 2010.

Molly, Taffy and MOnty

Hamish Westie said...

Hi Jake
Well even a hardened old cynic like me had to reach for the hankie once or twice reading all about your wonderful, romantic trip to London.
But you know what? My favourite part was at the end, seeing you and Fergi lying side by side, so peacefully asleep together.
Oh you are a lucky chap Jake.
Cheers! H.
PS MMm, just wondering, maybe that Sally's feeling a bit lonely with you back in Colorado and all. You don;t happen to know if she's interested in the 'mature gentleman' do you??? These London lassies often appreciate a Scottish accent, I'm told....

Doctor Dre said...

hi jake!
what sweet dream! sally seems like a great girl! you lucky dog.

thank you so much for your kind words, by the way...

Dre

Baby Rocket Dog and Hootie said...

What a great visit you had in England with your lovely Miss Sally! No wonder you have such fabulous dreams!! And all the cool gifts too. BowWowzer what a time to remember.
Smooches,
BabyRD & Hootie

Sally said...

Dearest Jake,

I have been reading and rereading your post - that lovely evening we spent together - the lovely walk on the river - tea and biccies in Selfridges. It was such a magical night - I will treasure the memory always...

With big licks,
Sally

Cat Naps in Italy said...

That sure looks like you had a wonderful adventure! Just my kind of dog!

Looking forward to seeing you at Gracie's party today!

Kitty Kisses from Italy,
Opus and Ollie

Joe Stains said...

Butchy's plane had a Steelers logo when you took off, how cool :) I am glad you got to go across the pee and have such a wonderful and romantic time. Now you are back and have pawesome presents from your special lady. You are lucky pups!

Eric said...

Jakey boy what a dream date with sweet Sally. Miss Enid is nodding her head in agreement (though she was shocked about the burping.)Silly old wheelie. ..better that end than...oops. Sorry. Back to my comment.

Sally certainly showed you a magical time with all the places she took you to. I'm sure I spied more than a spark of magic between you two.Yes indeedy. More like fizzing fireworks. Wicked Christmas presents from her to you both. Wonder if the bauble is magic like the genie's lamp? Give it a couple of nose butts pal and see what happens.

Then the last little video of you and Fergie snoozing together. Awww. Cute as cute can be. Charming Miss Enid said. Mom went all sniffy.Typical.

Next date with Sally want me to take you out and about in the zoomer? We could do a double date!

Wiry loves to you and Fergie Eric xxx

Anya said...

Thanks for such a long and beautiful post with so many great shots,
thanks for sharing your fun :-)

Have all a relaxing weekend
((HUGS))

Kareltje =^.^=

Unknown said...

Wow.. I felt like I was right there with you! Sally did have a wonderful family and what a fabby trip! That ornament was the perfect reminder. I love it.
norwood

Jackson's J1 and J2 said...

Sounds like a pawsome date and a shed load of lovely loot too! Pawfect! J x

animal lover, quilt lover said...

Oo Jake!!!!
You had the best first date ever!!!! You two were made for each other!!! When you make that special connection you know it!!!!!
We love your post with all the wonderful pictures, thank-you so much for sharing them with us!!!
Jake and Fergie we love your friendship, Bambi and Fern

Angel MoMo and Charlotte said...

Great post, Jake. Happy New Year to my doggie siblings! My SS has returned from the wilds but too busy/lazy to help with my blogs :sigh:

White Dog Blog said...

As we shared your dream and its gentle beauty you magically transported us to a place of simple happiness and genuine contentment. It was a magical balm after our recent jouneys. Thank you. Please stop by my blog I have an award I wish to share with you.

Dewey Dewster said...

Geez Jake.....that's one super imagination that ya have there....fer sure....I'm still tryin' ta figure out if ya just dreamed of yer date with Sally or if ya actually had a date with Sally....whatever...I can tell yer smitten.....yep....lost yer heart....ta a pretty lady......oh gee....ya will never be the same....ever.....nope ya now have been hit by the cupid arrow...'n it's not even Valentine's Day yet....yer early, my man.....glad yer back at home 'n that ya got such nice gifts from yer sweetie pie...ya play with 'em much nicer than we do with our toys....I tell ya I'm inta rippin' stuff up....pronto...the sooner the better.

Someone on the fox terrier discussion list posted that the kong wubba was fox terrier proof....so Gram bought 3 of 'em......Toby ripped his up in about 15 minutes....it still squeaked but the cloth was ripped ta shreds.....me 'n my Mom de-squeaked the thing in about 10 minutes but the cloth is still intact.....Gram took 'em away from us pronto.......don't they make any toys that last?????

Sweet dreams Jake.....

Dewey Dewster here.....

White Dog Blog said...

Hi My Friends,
Have the winter doldrums hit? Everyone I know (me included) seems to just be in the mood to stare out of the window and do nothing...the weather is even grey! I like to shake myself out of my stupor by imagining conversations spent with special people--like sitting with you both on our deck in the sun, eating treats and discussing next Spring's garden.

animal lover, quilt lover said...

Yes, Bambi and Jake and Fergi had a belated Christmas!!! It was so nice of Diane to do that for Bambi!!
A belated Christmas can be even more fun!!
Give the pups a big kiss from, Bambi and Fern

Asta said...

My Sweet sweet Bwuvvew Jake
How can you evew fowgive me..it's been fuwwevew, and I'm just now witing you about youw magical date wif Sally..oh, my heawt leapt when i saw youw pictoowes, and wead youw descwiption of youw pawfect date. So touching and thoughtful and magical in evewy way. I felt like I was in a dweam myself when I wead it. I don't think eithew one of you will evew fowget those moments spent togethew , blanketed by the soft snow and the spawkly lights, and the wawmf of youw two heawts.. and the special pink bauble fow ouw dawling sissie Fewgie..you melted my heawt the way you had hew in mind even while on such a womantic night.
I hope you tweasoowe all of it fuwwevew.

I have no excooses but pleez say you fowgive me fow being so vewy late wif my message

I love you and Fewgi mowe than I can say
smoochie kisses
youw sissie
ASTA

umekotyan said...

Good evening TwoSpecialWires
It is a wonderful trip to London.
The Britain with the history and the tradition is a country to which I want also to go.
As for the show window at the department store, I feel the history for 100 years.
Thank you for a romantic dream.
Exactly, it is a present at Christmas. :)

I'm sorry that my visit slows.

from loved ume tyan