Thursday, February 4, 2010

Two Stories: One Big Celebration

It's no wonder we've not been around Blogland much.
Moma's been doing other stuff

 and
We've not been real effective in getting her Undivided Attention.

Until recently.
We got her Attention all right.
Both of us.

Here're the Stories.

First of all.
Seems like every time Moma hits the thrift stores
(which can be often)
She comes home with more wool sweaters.

She piles 'em up.
And eventually washes the heck out of 'em
Till they turn into cozy pieces of felt.

(Note the descriptor.  Cozy.)

Which she piles up again.
And arranges in some sort of fashion.
She takes it very seriously.

Me?
I watch.
And I stay respectful.


Most of the time.

Just once
I couldn't resist temptation.

One day when Moma left us
I did a little rearranging of colors and textures.

I thought I did a pretty good job.
I felt proud.
And I had been quite comfortable in that pile.
Moma could tell.
It was warm where I'd been lying.

I look pretty innocent.
Right?
It's 'cause I AM innocent.
Calm.  Collected.  Quite non-terrier-like.
Very much non-cracker dog.
You know?
That's my reputation.

Hey!
Where'd that picture come from?
Who's that dog?
That dog looks possessed!
That's not me.
You know I'm not sinister.
Or anything resembling a cracker dog.
No!
Someone must've photoshopped that picture.
Don't believe everything you see!

Anyhow.
(Now that we have that cleared up.)
After that incident
Moma moved all the wool piles upstairs
and started spending time up there doing her stuff.

I usually join her
Sleeping on the futon in the same room.

Fergs usually stays downstairs
Sleeping on the bed.
She's happy there.

Well.
Here's the Second Story.
And it's a really Special One.

Prob'ly deserves its own blogpost.
But since we're lucky to get Moma to help with this one
We'd better take advantage of her attention
While we've got it.

So.
The other night (Wednesday)
I was sleeping upstairs while Moma worked.
Fergs was sleeping downstairs on the bed.

Hours passed.
It got pretty late.
And it got dark downstairs.

Usually by then we were all together on the same level of the house.

All of the sudden
Out of the quiet
Came one great big clear loud

WOOF!

It was Fergi
She found her Voice 
and she was calling out!

This was the first time Fergi had ever barked!
Ever!
And she's been with us for a year and a half now.

Sometimes she'll make little yipping sounds at me
when I'm being a Crazy Boy 
and chasing her around the dining room table.

(It's fun 
and she's maybe beginning to think its fun for her, too.
Her tail is usually part way up
but she makes little yipping sounds at me
with her pearly whites showing.)

But this night was different.
This sound she made was a BARK!
An honest-to-goodness
full-throated BARK!

She was looking for her Pack!
She was looking for US!

And
Believe you me.
She got Moma's Attention.
Big Time.

Moma dropped everything she was doing
and went rushing downstairs to praise Fergi.

(I'm so proud of my sissie!)

Fergs' little tail was up and wagging.

She still wouldn't let Moma go all the way up to her
but she was a happy little dog
with a wig-wagging tail.

(One day we've gotta get a video of that little nubbin beating back and forth.)

Fergi'd missed her Pack.
HER pack.

US.
Moma and Me.

And she called and found us!

We are soooooo happy!

The little baby steps Fergi makes are special.
The huge leaps she takes
Like BARKING
are worth a great big Celebration!

Guess who got Treats Wednesday night!
Yep!

It's true!!!

36 comments:

White Dog Blog said...

Fergie, what a beautiful aria it must have been! We are smiling as we imagine the sound rolling through the house and slapping your pack in the ears for attention. How marvelous! How wonderful!

Jake I do believe that you have a future in design! Your keen eye and color sense brought a certain fen sheui to the stacks that Moma might not have even noticed was lacking. Your "after" shot looked comfy...homey...peaceful..inviting.

Scruffy, Lacie and Stanley's Place said...

Yep....one big bark takes u girlies to the next step.....shrieking!!!

I've been giving Fergie voice lessons....shell be singin' opera soonest...
I am delighted you approve. She's a bit um loud....the Lacie only has one volume setting!

Hugs and celebratory kisses......lac

Scruffy, Lacie and Stanley's Place said...

Yep....one big bark takes u girlies to the next step.....shrieking!!!

I've been giving Fergie voice lessons....shell be singin' opera soonest...
I am delighted you approve. She's a bit um loud....the Lacie only has one volume setting!

Hugs and celebratory kisses......lac

Scruffy, Lacie and Stanley's Place said...

Oops.....scruffy can't type!

Baby Rocket Dog and Hootie said...

Somewhere along the line we missed what your mommy DOES with all those felt pieces. Is she making a gigantic quilt to cover your house with??

About Fergi's bark: Whoopieee!! I,BRD, didn't find my voice for a very long time & I remember the rejoicing when I made my first real bark. Now they all wish I'd be quiet...I ALWAYS greet other dogs(while I'm in the car) with very loud entusiastic barks.hehe.
Love you both!
Smooches,
BabyRocketDog and Hootie

Bobby said...

You look a bit like me, well I don't mean like me, but that growl photo tut tut. Yes your mam has lots of squares, is it scarves.
We are glad Fergi is realising she needs you, and a bark and tail wags, she has come on, once the happy to see you tail starts. That is a giant step. GREAT.

Hamish Westie said...

I never used to bark which I first moved in with Gail. Boy have I found my voice in the 10 years since then! I have a feeling that not all members of this household considered the change to be entirely a good thing.
Just a warning...
Cheers, H. (who is DEFINITELY not a cracker dog)

Maxmom said...

Barking's good...keep practicing! I'm barking your way to say thank you to Momma for her email. I tried to email her back, but for some reason it won't go through.
Thank you for your thoughts...we are thinking of you too! (lots)
With love and licks
MAXDOG IN SOUTH AFRICA

Dexter said...

That is one sweet insane cracker dog picture of you. And little Fergi has found her voice! You go girl!

Slobbers,
Mango

Bruce said...

Hip Hip Hurrah...although, you might not think this is so special when she won't STOP barking! That is one plus about a cats, our meows & purrs are rather nice.
your pal,
Bruce:)

Agatha and Archie said...

Oh dear It seems like every bloggie PL2 has read so far today( that would be three) has made her leaky....She is SOOO proud of you Fregie!!!!(well we are too but she said to writr her first...who knows why) As for us???WOOOO DOGGGGIIIIESSS that is one CRACKER DOG shot of you our main man!! Oh yeah it is coming slowly out!!!( really you could come here and in three easy minutes we could show you how it is done.. being a cracker dog I mean...) love A+A

Gus said...

Jake and Fergi...we think you both deserve special treats for your accomplishments. You are finding your inner terrier, and your Moma is going to be verrry busy.

gussie

Kelly said...

I just LOVE hearing stories about you two finding your inner terrier! Jake being naughty! Fergs barkin' at ya! I loooove it!!!!!

xoxo
Pearl

Paco,Milo, Maya and mommy Simona said...

WOWOWOOWOWOOOOOOO!!!!
A big big big woooooooffffff for Fergie's bark!!!!!
Well done baby!!!!!!!
We're sooo proud of you!!!!!
And what a great caress for your family!!!!!!!!!
They would been very very very happy and proud of you too!!!!!
That needed a super special celebration!!!!!!
Would love to be there and celebrate with you!!!!!

About you sweet Jake....
Yes...we think you could be a wonderful designer...you have done a wonderful job with your mommy's wool sweaters!!!!!
such special colors mix.....
awwwwwwwwwwwwww......well done JAke!!!!!
And.....
OMDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!
Who is been to photoshopped your sweet photo?????
What a bad human or dog!!!!!
We know you're sweet....gentle....educate....elegant...and you will never do an expression like that!!!!
;-))))))))))))))99

Have a wonderful weekend dear friends!!!
WE LOVE YOUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!
And we miss you tons!!!
Sweet kisses and licks!!!!!

Kari in Alaska said...

You weren't crazy in that pick. Just super happy :)

Anya said...

Love your story and shots today!!

Maybe we have a nice post for your Moma today, maybe its remind her on Belgium (send her to our blog!)

((HUGS Kareltje =^.^=

Amy & the house of cats said...

Aw, Fergie, you barked - that is so awesome! Our mom got all teary - in a good way! She was so happy for you!

And Jake, well, those felt pieces just look like a perfect bed - we can understand why you needed to to a little re-arranging!

We hope you have a wonderful weekend - with maybe a few more barks!

Eric said...

Aw, I'm doing my circus cracker dog dance for you Fergie while Mom is sobbing. Isn't that strange when we are both so HAPPPYYY for you Fergie? Never understand those humans. Tho I understand you Jake cos I can see that cracker dog stuffie seeeping out of you ever so slowly.

Those scarves of Moms are amazing. She's going for it big time! Your helpful re-arranging of the squaries is part of your breeding tell Mom. Sheese. It's what us square dogs doo.

Boy I'm so darn proud of you both I could almost cry myself.

Oooooodles of wiry love and kisses Eric xxxx

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

'They' say woo nevFUR furget your furst!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

Rocky Creek Scotties and Rocky Creek Ramblings said...

AARRROOO!!

XOXO
Lilly, Piper, Carrleigh and Java

McGillicutty said...

Fergie! Congrats! Have you continued to use your newly found voice? I would. I bet Jake will listen to you now!
Jake, you rock. That was a totally cool thing with the sweaters. I do that stuff all the time. I'm Irish though, and that's my excuse! That last photo shows the cracker in you, man!

Sally Ann and Andy said...

Wow, go Fergi, you have found your voice. You can speak. Yeah, go you.
Sally Ann

Lacy said...

w00fs, yeaaa Fergi, way to go...heehee now they wont b
able to hush u up...good job..

b safe,
~rocky~

pps, me likes the teefie shot tooo...

Sally said...

My dear Jake - I cannot believe that is you in that photo - it must have been photoshop indeed! Such a sweet gentledog like your self - I think you were very helpful rearranging the squares - it is important to offer your creative input.

We are so super jiggly happy that Fergi found her voice - my dear Miss Fergi - I hope now that she has found it she will continue to use it. Good news indeed!

Lots of licks
Sally and Paddy

Noah the Airedale said...

Oh Fergi, we are so proud of you. That is awesome!!!! No wonder your mama and Jake were so excited. That is pretty big news.

Noah Willow Tess Lucy

Duke said...

How awesome, Fergi! We are so proud of you! There are so many times that our mom wishes that we wouldn't speak as much as we do!
We can't wait to see what your mom is doing with all of those wool sweaters!

Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch

umekotyan said...

Good evening TwoSpecialWires
It is necessary to arrange the sweater.
It is an event at the turn of the season.
Of course, order is a valuable point that chest of drawers put.
The expression of the temptation freezes the mama.
The tea of the recreation on a wonderful weekend. :D

from loved ume tyan

Martha said...

Oh we are so late!!!! We are very excited about Fergi's bark! She did miss you and she was shouting - how cool is that!
Martha found her bark about six months ago - we warn you now - there is no stopping her!
Beware!!!!!
We are very proud of Fergi for asserting herself - girl power!
Now Jake we would never believe that snarly pic of you - we could see why you would rearrange the sweaters for your mom - after all you are a most helpful dog.
But that snarl - no way - some doggie is trying to frame you!!!
love and kisses
Martha & Bailey xxx

Unknown said...

Well clearly, Fergi, you were just waiting for something REALLY important to say! Well done, Miss!!! We're all blogging proud of you.

I let out a good "WOOF!" just last night - it was very late and Mom was still reading and I woke up from a big dream and just..."WOOF!" Mom says I talk in my sleep all the time but she's never heard me actually bark in my sleep before!

Hey! When we saw those felty pieces, we realized where Asta got Mom's Christmas present — her fabulous Petey Scarf! We didn't think we'd need it down here in SC, but no worries, there will be PLENTY of opportunity to wear it when we get back to NYC in March!

As for Mango, I think he's sweet on you. Shall I drop him a hint (he needs an anvil-sized hint, he's a bit thick)before Valentine's Day???
Hmmmm?????

Your pal,

Petey

Lorenza said...

Those sure are Barking news!
I am so happy for your Fergi!
And you Jake... good job helping your Mom rearranging the colors!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

Unknown said...

F and J
Well I know you are disappointed that you didn't earn the CDIT title but you said it yourselves - you are not true to that title. Until I read this post. I think the contest is helping you find your inner terrier. Jake has a winning foto there.. and now Fergie is telling her pack what to do! YEAH! I love it. Swing by my bloggie later.. I have some post contest awards coming.
norwood

Unknown said...

Oh Miss Lacie will receive swift justice should anything happen to me. I warned the police. Thankfully she can't get too far in all that snow
norwood

Joe Stains said...

One small Bark for Ferg, one giant Bark for the PACK! wooo hooo!!! We are so proud of you both. GOOD job messing up that wool. Don't get Mom started on her love of thrift stores...

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

What a wonderful story!!! And so it is easy to see that even though you thought Mom wasn't paying much attention to you, it all had a fantastic ending. Hooray for Fergi!!!

Woos, Phantom and Thunder

animal lover, quilt lover said...

Jake and Fergi,
Good for you Fergi. Bambi did not bark for over a year when she first came, She hardly ever barks now!! Only when she has something special to say.
We love fresh beets. This time of year we buy them every week. We have been putting them in the critter food. Last week we tried them. Not bad. So yesterday I did a stir fry with the tops. Put anything you would put in your stir fry and the cut up beet tops and I think you would like it.
We did !!!!
It is good to talk with you!!!
Love you lots, Bambi & Fern

the magic sleigh said...

Woooos! Crackers! Dog rules! What a great post! I think I was drooling while watching woo eat them crackers, such a lucky woo to have found such a great home that feeds woo crackers and loves woo the way woo are!
So do we!
-Kira The BeaWootiful