Thursday, June 25, 2009

We're Beach Dogs


We've been talking about it for a couple of weeks now, and finally it's happened!
We made it to the beach!
Not "the beach" where Gramma and Auntie Judith and Zoë live (in their houses - in north Florida)
but THE BEACH - the real beach with endless sand and water!

It's less than a mile from their homes, the water and sand.
But the dog beach is further away (maybe three or four miles.)  Far enough to have to drive.
Far enough to have to get Moma in action to take us.
And that's been hard - cuz she's been sick.
But we've been patient, and it paid off!
We made it!

This was my second visit (I was here last summer.) 
But it was Fergi's first.
I recognized the sights, sounds, and smells right away, and tried to teach my sissie what I knew.
We all wanted her first experience to be a good one.
"Start slow.  Get used to all of this at your own pace."
She listened.  She trusts me.

 
"Head on down these stairs. Past the shoes. They're not worth paying attention to.
There's much better stuff ahead."


"Here it is Fergi!
We're on the beach!  This is sand! That's the Gulf of Mexico!"

I remembered!  I didn't need the "warm up" time that I needed last year.
This was MY beach!   Now it's OUR beach!
 
Check out that new pier.  The old one got destroyed by a hurricane a couple of years ago.
This one is still under construction, and it's LONG!
(I think we'll be able to walk out on it when it's finished - in another year or so.)

"Whaddya think, Fergi?
Isn't this GREAT?
It's here for us to play!  This is part of the big world meant for us to enjoy!
We'll take it slow and easy, but we're thinking you're gonna love it!"

(Moma's glad you've got those speckles, Fergs.  
She says you'd blend in with the sugar white sand, otherwise.
But don't worry. You won't be getting away from us.
Our people even double leashed you, until they know you are safe and sound.)
 
"Look, Fergi!  All the way down the beach.
You can sorta see the pink rays of the sun as it sets to the west."
 
"We're going to be able to enjoy this beach together, Fergs.
You and me. With our people."
"And with our cousin Zoë.  She loves it, too."
(I'm glad she joined us this evening. We love her so much.
And she's a really fast runner. She models how to really let loose and FLY on the beach!)
We got sort of a late start this night, and the sun set shortly after we got there. 
Moma promised we'd come back earlier next time.
But we'll probably still wait till evenings.
It's so much cooler.  The sand's not so hot.
We don't have to worry about us white coated doggies getting sunburnt
and there aren't so many people.

(The doggie beach really isn't very big - but it's nice and we plan to take full advantage of it.)
"You're gonna love it, Fergi. It's really a very special place."
"And we'll be able to enjoy it for several more weeks."


17 comments:

Asta said...

Oh My goodness little sweeties! This is bootiful, Its wondewful
I'm so happy you get to go to such a pawfect place and know the bweezes and the smells and the sounds of that lovely beach!
You desewve to expewience the fweedom and joy! I'm thwilled fow you..youw cousin Zoe looks gowgeous too ( I guess it wuns in youw family)
I pawsonally thing vewy late aftewnoon is the bestest time..I love when it's ot so cwowded and you get to see all those diffewent colows of the setting sun on the watew..and I don't hink it's lady like to sweta , so I pwefew slightly less hot weathew, hehehe
I love seeing you having fun. Fewgie youw specles awe the pwettiest I've evew seen..you must be the envy of evewy giwl thewe..I'll be wif you in my heawt
smoochie kisses
ASTA sissie

Martha said...

We are loving it that you got to go to the beach! Now we know Fergi is a lot like Martha and she will have found it a very big wide open space - this can be scary.
We were so impressed with you Jake cos you really took charge of the situation and reassured Fergi the whole time.
We are sorry your mom has been sick - not good when you are on holiday!
We are glad that she was feeling well enough to take you to the beach.
There is nothing like new experiences with lots of support to help you grow!!!
Fergi we are proud of you.
love and kisses
Martha & Bailey xxx

Rocky Creek Scotties and Rocky Creek Ramblings said...

The pictures are so beautiful and your cousin Zoe looks like a sweetie - she has to be since she's related to you.

None of us have been to the beach except for Lilly and she loved it - chasing the water and walking in the sand. Have fun and please keep us updated.

Please drop by our blog as we have a contest starting today.

XOXO
Lilly, Piper, Carrleigh and Java

Dughallmor Beagles said...

Yippee.....you guys made it! Isn't the beach so cool? We are in the stoopid library so we can't see your pics but thought we'd drop in and say hi......HI!!
So we'll have to wait to see your wonderful pics....have fun!
Slobbers xx

Gus said...

OH Boy...that looks like a wunnerful dog beach. We love hearing that Jake is being such a good bruzzer, and helping Fergi so much. Muzzer was very taken with both of you, and she is really enjoying the story. Sorry your mom was sickie...that is the pits when your hooman doesn't feel well on a trip. But you have lots of time left to visit the beach and just have a great time.

kisses to all

gussie

Woodrow, Luna, MJ Campanella said...

looks like a great time - wonderful pictures - we love the beach

woodrow sweetie mj

William Tell said...

What a great place to exlore. I would dig a hole to China if I found that much sand!

And I love your speckles, Fergie. They are very unique and eye-catching!

Happy Tails,
William Tell

Bobby said...

Great to get to the beach, I am glad you both had a good time.

Eric said...

That beautiful beach is just for dogs?? Wow!! What a great brother Jake helping Fergie, she looks a little unsure but I'm sure she'll love it with your guidance. Those photos made me smile and smile and I saw my pal Zoe too! She was so excited waiting for you and I loved the special card her Mom made.

Make sure Mom is ok Jake. Lots of us squares here are sad to hear that.

Wiry loves and kissies, ERic xxxx

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

Furry nice!

It was sooooo sweet to see woo give Fergie such brofurly advice!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

Two Schnauzers from New England said...

Hi, Fergi and Jake -

We are glad you are having a great time at the beach with your cousin. Your speckles are cute, Fergi.

Love -

Hershey and Kaci

Joe Stains said...

You are such a good big brother. I am sure Fergi is going to settle in and really love it. I have never been to a beach, and I am scared of water, but it sure looks beautiful.

Paco,Milo, Maya and mommy Simona said...

YEPPYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!
You've done!!!!!
YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!
We're very very very very happy for you!!!!!!
And it's a very beautiful beach...awwwwwwwwwwww.....we love the pink sky...is sooooooooooooo romantic....
and you both are soooooooooooooooo gorgeous...and Zoe too!!!
But Fergi and Jake...do you go in the sea.....have you done a bath...swim....roll in the sand????
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...hope yes!!!
If you need help and explanation about how you can do we could come and teach you!!!!
Wawwawawwaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!
will be great to be togheter at the beach!!!
We're sorry for your mommy...hope she'll feels better soon!!!!
have a great sunday!!!!
We love you!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sweet kisses and licks

Anonymous said...

Wowza! beachcombing! That looks like so much fun and y'll look right at home under the beautiful pink skies! I'm so happy you had fun! YAY!

Love ya!!
Licks and Wags,
Autumn

Lorenza said...

Hi, friends!
The beach sure is pawesome! And you two have lots of time to enjoy it!
Have fun
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

Buster the Wired Fox Terror said...

Awww Fergi has a tail tuck just like when I first brought Janie to the beach! She ended up loving it though, and she actually came out and became quite social at the beach!

Bussie Kissies
Buster

Scruffy, Lacie and Stanley's Place said...

Oh Fergi and Jakie...

What a totally fabbers beachie!!!! We've never seen the beach, so we don't know if our tails would tuck or not...actually, yesterday in the park Stanley found a crow feather on our walk and he tucked his tail and had to run to Mumsie and hide between her legs...that Big Dale needs ther a pee!!!!

Fergi...I was wondering (Lacie looks down shyly at the floor) IF YOU COULD HELP ME GET SPOTS LIKE YOURS???!!!! We could buy that Wiry Clairol stuff...Asta loves it and dye me white and do black freckle highlights??? Now, normally it's me who does the hair and makeup lessons, but you have the best fur color in the world!!!

Perhaps you should come to da Burgh to visit...Jakie could come...Scruffy needs to have another poker pawty and I could have you and Asta and Aggie and Koobie for a girl's night doin' makeovers...

We'll do it when ya get back from Florida, Kay??

Love ya lots, sweet dogs!!!!!

Love and kisses...Laciegirlie